Cycling books: recommendation and avoid - Racing only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I can recommend Etape by Richard Moore. As with many good things it's a simple idea executed very well - select stages of the Tour and then go and speak to those involved and then write a book about them. Moore tells other peoples stories very well.
Have now read a few of moores books, really enjoy his writing. Have you read the Robert miller and slaying the badger books?

Have now read a few of moores books, really enjoy his writing. Have you read the Robert miller and slaying the badger books?
Aye, read both of them (a few times)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Just finished David Millars new book 'the racer'

Nothing much of note in it, very much a love letter to himself as his talents faded amd he wound down his career. Disappointed.

I'm reading it now. God, it's tedious. I may not bother finishing it.

I'm beginning to realise how much help he must have had to write Racing Through The Dark.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Got a copy of Chris Boardman's new autobiography in the post yesterday and started reading it in bed last night. Even though I was totally knackered, I got nearly a third of the way through before I nodded off - not really a sign of how gripping it is, rather that it is a very easy read. Gary Imlach is credited as 'editor' and I don't know how much rewriting he had to do but he obviously has a light touch as it's very much in Boardman's own voice - so if you like his presenting style on the telly, you'll get on fine with it.

No hugely startling revelations (so far) and not much in the way of drama, but some nice stuff about his rivalry with Graeme Obree.

Here's a small excerpt to give you a flavour of the style...

craig.jpg

I finished the Death of Marco Pantini by Matt Rendell a little while ago.
I only found the opening chapters interesting where it was about his early life and the role of the communist party in cycling, in Italy.
The rest of it was just re-enforcing that he took drugs and was a really sick character. I had to force myself to finish it.

Got a copy of Chris Boardman's new autobiography in the post yesterday and started reading it in bed last night. Even though I was totally knackered, I got nearly a third of the way through before I nodded off - not really a sign of how gripping it is, rather that it is a very easy read. Gary Imlach is credited as 'editor' and I don't know how much rewriting he had to do but he obviously has a light touch as it's very much in Boardman's own voice - so if you like his presenting style on the telly, you'll get on fine with it.

No hugely startling revelations (so far) and not much in the way of drama, but some nice stuff about his rivalry with Graeme Obree.

Here's a small excerpt to give you a flavour of the style...

View attachment 130356
I might get that. He lives around here still and I see him relatively often. Last time I was sat next to him in the hairdressers which is very odd when you feel you know someone but actually, you don't. You have to resist the temptation to say hello or start a familiar sounding conversation.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I might get that. He lives around here still and I see him relatively often. Last time I was sat next to him in the hairdressers which is very odd when you feel you know someone but actually, you don't. You have to resist the temptation to say hello or start a familiar sounding conversation.

He's a top chap. I met him recently and he seemed extremely laid back. A couple of kids came up and asked for an autograph but they clearly didn't know who he was and had been put up to it by their dad, who then came up to take a selfie. He took it all in good humour.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I'm looking for a behind the scene book about stage racing, i.e. what the cyclists eat, where they all stay, travel from day to day, what they do on a rest day, the other staff, team talks and tactics, off season, etc. etc. Any ideas?

Hont

Guru
Interestingly David Millar's book won cycling sports book of the year last night. I might see if the library has a copy and decide for myself.

SWSteve

Guru
I'm looking for a behind the scene book about stage racing, i.e. what the cyclists eat, where they all stay, travel from day to day, what they do on a rest day, the other staff, team talks and tactics, off season, etc. etc. Any ideas?

Search for The Secret Pro from cyclingtips. That might get you started

Top Bottom