Cycling: books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Someone, can't remember who, and can't find my way back to the thread, on C+, recommended "The Sweat of the Gods" by Benjo Maso.

Anyway, thanks. The best cycle-racing related book I've read in some time, a nice account of the relationship between riders, business and the press. A fair translation too, except for the inclusion of the phrase' "guts for garters", relating to rivalry between Hinault and Lemond, which is a phrase my mother would use.

Keith Oates

Janner
You mean LeMond upset somebody :?: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The particular phrase really relates to Hinault upsetting Lemond in the '86 tour, where Hinault attacked Lemond (Hinault maintains this was tactical- by way of wearing down Lemond's opponents)

Anyway, I see from the old C+ site that it was Cyclo 2000 who recommended it, and who hasn't appeared on here, yet, posting those little tributes to cyclists on their birthdays, which I rather liked.

skut

May have been me, as I remember recommending that book after I read it a while ago. It has really given me a sense of perspective when it comes to pro-cycling - glad you enjoyed it.

Edit: Oops - it was Cyclo2000, just read your post properly.

Tetedelacourse

skut said:
May have been me, as I remember recommending that book after I read it a while ago. It has really given me a sense of perspective when it comes to pro-cycling - glad you enjoyed it.

Edit: Oops - it was Cyclo2000, just read your post properly.

Could do with Cyclo here, anyone given the big man a heads up?

Top Bottom