Cycling in the Lake District - Any clubs or recomended routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RabbitFood

Hi All,

I will be on Holiday with the family for 1 week from Aug 8th and wanted to take the chance to do some bike riding.

What is the best way to get good routes as I dont know the area or are there any clubs near Lowswater as that is where i will be staying.

Any advice would be great thanks

Rabbit

Not sure if your after mountain bikes routes or road?

But try this for MTB:
http://www.mountain-bike-cumbria.co.uk/trails.php

Grizedale forest near hawkshead and Whinlatter near Keswick are also good MTB spots with way marked routes.

Both forests are also a good day out for the kids if you have family with you, Grizedale in particular has play areas sculpture trails and 'go ape'

If I come up with any road info i'll post it.

Buster49

Although I don't live there anymore I'm a native of the area. The local cycling club is Velo Club Cumbria (vccumbria.co.uk). At Loweswater you're on the C2C route; cycle along it westwards to Whitehaven (or Workington) and it's fairly flat, cycle eastwards to Keswick and you've only got Whinlatter to get over (or get the kids over!). Whinlatter forest has mtb trails and a good cafe. Loweswater is also on the Fred Whitton sportive route so you could do a section of that. Otherwise just look at the OS map and plot your own route avoiding the A roads. How about a circular ride over Newlands and Honister passes?

Top Bottom