Small rides in Carlisle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi folks,

I've been out of service and off the bike(s) for a number of years, and they're taking their toll on me physically now.
With that said, I'm visiting/working Carlisle next month (May 24) for 3 weeks, and on the weekends I wouldn't mind getting out and about locally on one of my bikes.
I'll be bringing my MTB setup for roads (slicks etc), and my bike lock, but I'm hoping someone may guide me towards some small rides, which I can either do myself, or have someone join me on.

I'd like to say I'm still a confident rider, but I'll see once I'm out in the wild.

I'm hoping this will spur me to continue riding once I return home (Liverpool).

alicat

Legendary Member
I'm not familiar with Carlisle itself; however if you catch the train to Maryport, you can ride on the beach road or up to Allonby and ride on the beach itself. Then maybe get the train back from Aspatria. The train ride has views to lift the spirits.

Lookrider

The coast to coast route goes straight through Carlisle
Head west along the park tracks to the qwiet and pan flat rds onto burgh on sands then follow the coast until you head back
A good flat starter route anyways

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
The coast to coast route goes straight through Carlisle
Head west along the park tracks to the qwiet and pan flat rds onto burgh on sands then follow the coast until you head back
A good flat starter route anyways

Wonderful, thank you so much for the recommendation!
I'm thinking, due to the worksite being fairly close, I'm going to see how my arthritis fairs with walking to the site and back to the hotel.
I'll only kill myself once doing that. But I'll also take the bike, so I can ride directly there, and then maybe pootle somewhere after, see how I feel.

It's more the weekend I'm thinking of staying for, at least I have options of things to do.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
I'm not familiar with Carlisle itself; however if you catch the train to Maryport, you can ride on the beach road or up to Allonby and ride on the beach itself. Then maybe get the train back from Aspatria. The train ride has views to lift the spirits.

Thank you so much. I'll definitely look into these :biggrin:

Drago

Legendary Member
The thread title is highly misleading.

61j0DFJfcQL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

albion

Guru
From the river at Lidl you can take the Sustrans river route to Dalston. Off road.
From there heading east east north can get you to Wetheral which is worth a visit. Quiet roads.

It is also fiat and very quiet following the small roads from Carlisle parallel to the A6/M6 south to Penrith.

Top Bottom