Cycling is too dangerous for children

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Just had my neighbours grandchildren ( aged 8 and 9) knocking on my door asking me to pump their bike tyres up. While I was doing it their Mum mentioned that they were the only ones in the class with bikes , all the other parents refused to allow their kids to have 'em cos "they're too dangerous" How very sad :sad:

Very Sad, how many of them will die younger because of lack of healthy activity but its hard to say that.

It's not the bikes that are dangerous, it's inexperienced kids using them untrained and/or without supervision that is dangerous. Up to parents and schools to make sure kids know how to handle their bike properly.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
BTW I pumped up 8 tyres ( parents new bikes too) not one had more than 5psi in them and nobody was carrying a spare tube or puncture outfit.... They were just off for a ride! Accident waiting to happen ... or what:ohmy:

Willow

the government funding this year incorporates grants for schools to improve cycle facilities as such the school I work at as just put in a new cycle shelter - have to say wouldn't have spent the schools money on it given the cost would have just issued plastic bags for the seats! Some heads will not improve facilities because they won't take risks (Health and safety and parents suing schools), including my boys school. They can cycle when they have done cycling proficiency which is done in year 6 age 10/11. Next year after a few comments from ? they are going to do it year 5 so children can benefit from cycling to school for the whole of year 6 and not just the last few weeks. The school I work at let the parents decide whether the children can cycle to school.

Everything is dangerous for children but they have to live. I was worried when my 10 and 11 year old weren't back from the tennis courts yesterday 2 hours after they'd left, and yes if anything had happened I would never have forgiven myself but I take the view that I would rather let them grow up with an element of independence and taking responsibility then wrap them in cotton wool and let them be mummy's boys for the rest of their life. Actually I refused to take them in the car yesterday and made them cycle.

This morning we headed off on our first family bike ride since oldest got his CP and started enjoying his bike - 8 miles on road and track - thoroughly enjoyed it. We took it in turns to lead. I was actually quite impressed with their road sense. Of course they are still at a sensible age.

Willow said:
the government funding this year incorporates grants for schools to improve cycle facilities as such the school I work at as just put in a new cycle shelter - have to say wouldn't have spent the schools money on it given the cost would have just issued plastic bags for the seats! Some heads will not improve facilities because they won't take risks (Health and safety and parents suing schools), including my boys school. They can cycle when they have done cycling proficiency which is done in year 6 age 10/11. Next year after a few comments from ? they are going to do it year 5 so children can benefit from cycling to school for the whole of year 6 and not just the last few weeks. The school I work at let the parents decide whether the children can cycle to school.

Everything is dangerous for children but they have to live. I was worried when my 10 and 11 year old weren't back from the tennis courts yesterday 2 hours after they'd left, and yes if anything had happened I would never have forgiven myself but I take the view that I would rather let them grow up with an element of independence and taking responsibility then wrap them in cotton wool and let them be mummy's boys for the rest of their life. Actually I refused to take them in the car yesterday and made them cycle.

This morning we headed off on our first family bike ride since oldest got his CP and started enjoying his bike - 8 miles on road and track - thoroughly enjoyed it. We took it in turns to lead. I was actually quite impressed with their road sense. Of course they are still at a sensible age.

IME, this was done because the local secondary school would not allow pupils to cycle there unless they had completed cycling proficiency.

beanzontoast said:
IME, this was done because the local secondary school would not allow pupils to cycle there unless they had completed cycling proficiency.
When I was growing up I don't think we had cycling proficiency tests because of a teachers strike. I don't think anybody cycled to secondary either but not because of the lack of a cycling proficiency cert, probably because of the lack of bike storage; the bike shed was used as a football pitch. Looking back I wish I'd cycled. :sad:

HLaB said:
When I was growing up I don't think we had cycling proficiency tests because of a teachers strike. I don't think anybody cycled to secondary either but not because of the lack of a cycling proficiency cert, probably because of the lack of bike storage; the bike shed was used as a football pitch. Looking back I wish I'd cycled. :sad:

Yes - even back in the late 60's when I did my cycling proficiency, it was a 'top juniors' activity. Few actually cycled to their secondary schools after, as some were 10 or more miles away.

surfgurl

I remember doing the cycling proficiency in the last year of primary school, although there were no facilities in school to store bikes. In secondary school there were extensive bike racks for about 200 bikes. Each year you had to go and see the head teacher with your bike who would check it was roadworthy. The head teacher who would then give you permission to cycle in and store your bike at school. The onus was on you to ensure the bike was kept in a road worthy condition. Every so often the head would do a spot check. You got a phonecall home if your bike wasn't roadworthy.

surfgurl said:
I remember doing the cycling proficiency in the last year of primary school, although there were no facilities in school to store bikes. In secondary school there were extensive bike racks for about 200 bikes. Each year you had to go and see the head teacher with your bike who would check it was roadworthy. The head teacher who would then give you permission to cycle in and store your bike at school. The onus was on you to ensure the bike was kept in a road worthy condition. Every so often the head would do a spot check. You got a phonecall home if your bike wasn't roadworthy.

That sounds really organised. Did it encourage or discourage you to cycle though?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
beanzontoast said:
That sounds really organised. Did it encourage or discourage you to cycle though?

No judgement either way but that sounds like a grammar school or private school, perhaps even from the distant past. Certainly an interesting way of running things.

surfgurl

I think it encouraged me to cycle. We understood the importance of keeping the bike roadworthy. It was the way the headteacher was. He was a very caring man and helped you understand the importance of various things through his caring nature.
I will always remember him standing at the main gates at hometime to make sure everyone left the school safely, saying goodbye personally and wishing us a safe journey home. He would stay there for about ten minutes checking kids got their lifts and got onto the buses safely. He would then go and fetch his car and drive to the railway station and make sure all the kids were behaving in town and getting onto their trains safely.
We knew it wasn't just checking up on us, it was making sure we were safe.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It was the same at my secondary school. It was 1967 and dozens of kids cycled to school. The head used to give you a permit to park your bike in the bike shed once he had seen the bike and given it the once over. I never looked back. I passed my proficiency test at primary school in 1966 along with most of our class. The then council used to run the schemes, it was almost obligatory to participate.

Willow

DS2 is taking his CP in the summer hols. I phoned council to see if there were any courses locally. Turns out they wanted to run some but didn't have any premises as a base so I offered them the school I work at for 2 weeks now they are running 3 courses, My bit for cyclingkind even if a little selfinterest came into play!

surfgurl

marinyork said:
No judgement either way but that sounds like a grammar school or private school, perhaps even from the distant past. Certainly an interesting way of running things.

It was a comprehensive school in the late eighties/early nineties!

Top Bottom