Cycling laws to be overhauled.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I know this has been discussed before, but according to BBC breakfast the government are looking for suggestions on the way forward to modernise cycling law. There was a girl there trying to argue that it was transport laws as a whole that need updating but I'm not sure if she was making herself heard.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45154708

Very disappointed at the cluelessness of Sally Nugent today. Went happily along with the anti-cyclist theme and was so poorly prepared she thought that the woman who was killed by the guy with no brakes was a cyclist. Nobody raised the elephant in the room of the pedestrians killed by powered transport.
When this revision of legislation was first raised, one idea was that the "causing death by dangerous cycling" scrap of meat was to be thrown in as a balance to tightening up on close passes etc. Looks like that is getting lost.
The reality is that cyclists are so little nuisance and danger on the roads that the laws have not needed to be revised.

Fair point, but the fact that the cyclist who was held responsible for the death of the woman was only prosecuted under an ancient law does indicate that some updating is needed. I believe a similar thing applies to the law relating to cycling on the footway. As far as I know, the only law relating is one from 1866 and refers to velocipedes.

Still the point remains that an irresponsible operator of a powered vehicle is a much greater danger to life and limb that an irresponsible cyclist. The casualty figures prove this. Indeed, I believe that statistically more third-party people are hurt by mobility scooters than cyclists. I don't hear an outcry about that.

Fair point, but the fact that the cyclist who was held responsible for the death of the woman was only prosecuted under an ancient law does indicate that some updating is needed. I believe a similar thing applies to the law relating to cycling on the footway. As far as I know, the only law relating is one from 1866 and refers to velocipedes.

Still the point remains that an irresponsible operator of a powered vehicle is a much greater danger to life and limb that an irresponsible cyclist. The casualty figures prove this. Indeed, I believe that statistically more third-party people are hurt by mobility scooters than cyclists. I don't hear an outcry about that.

Lonestar

Veteran
Got to agree.If a cyclist cycles like an idiot generally they'd be their own worst enemy.

Hope they decide to clamp down on the motorists as well but I doubt they will.

What was it 448 peds killed and three by cyclists (allegedly).

I see some bad cycling not as bad as the dangerous driving I see.Total disregard mobile phone use/drugs/general bad driving couldn't give a toss/in too much of a hurry/MGIF/Bullying.Lack of braincells not capable of reading ahead.Poor concentration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Very disappointed at the cluelessness of Sally Nugent today. Went happily along with the anti-cyclist theme and was so poorly prepared she thought that the woman who was killed by the guy with no brakes was a cyclist. Nobody raised the elephant in the room of the pedestrians killed by powered transport.
When this revision of legislation was first raised, one idea was that the "causing death by dangerous cycling" scrap of meat was to be thrown in as a balance to tightening up on close passes etc. Looks like that is getting lost.
The reality is that cyclists are so little nuisance and danger on the roads that the laws have not needed to be revised.
I must admit, Sallys gaffe was a bit embarrassing although the husband did take it in his stride.

I was also willing that girl to throw the actual stats into the mix as to who was more likely to kill a pedestrian or anyone for that matter.

Drago

Legendary Member
I ain't got a problem with it - people that behave like twots should be dealt with accordingly, regardless of their mode of transport. Just because some other sector of society may also be a naughty now and again is no reason not to do it - that's the school playground level of logic.

I ride sensibly and in accordance with the rules and laws of the road, so it doesn't affect me.

Lonestar

Veteran
I ain't got a problem with it - people that behave like twots should be dealt with accordingly, regardless of their mode of transport. Just because some other sector of society may also be a naughty now and again is no reason not to do it - that's the school playground level of logic.

I ride sensibly and in accordance with the rules and laws of the road, so it doesn't affect me.

I ride on the CS 2 CS 3 CS 7 and E/W route and backstreets/main road....It does affect me.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
1870s I think and it refers to driving carriages, which was generalised to include cycling when it first appeared, providing a logical and unsurprising norm. What's age got to do with it? The law that makes us drive on the left comes from the 1830s IIRC and no one bleats about that needing redoing, save for a few who want us to switch to right hand. This all seems like a massive red herring to beat down those freaks who dare to integrate physical activity into their lives and improve their health and wealth.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Maybe the Drago estate is so vast you don't have to interact with motorists who believe this shoot, but I doubt it. It will affect you a bit.

What part of the successful conviction of Alliston do you feel this law would change? If it achieves the same as the motoring offences, it'll actually reduce the typical charges and maximum penalties... but cycling causes so few crashes deadly to others that it'll take years to tell and this bunch of bike bashers in government will be retired, dead or both, so probably never held to account for it.

Top Bottom