Cycling shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazzin

I'm a newbie to cycling and have a few questions about cycling shorts.

Firstly, are all shorts include the Lycra variety generally designed to be worn without underwear? Or do you get some shorts which are designed to be worn with underwear?

Secondly, why are they all so expensive?

Thirdly, any particular brands you suggest?

Finally, is the objective of a dedicated cycling short solely to improve comfort?

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hiya
yes, always without underwear!
Expensive...some aren't, but to be honest buy the best you can afford. The more expensive ones ARE better and use better materials and are better constructed.
Brands...I can't really advise. I don't ride huge distances right now and am happy with my Tenn undershorts and Tenn baggies (I ride a MTB).
Comfort yes, but also some of the better engineered ones are designed to improve performance using compression etc.

I'm sure you'll get lots of replies with better explanations!

Last edited:

Broadside

Guru
I'm a newbie to cycling and have a few questions about cycling shorts.

Firstly, are all shorts include the Lycra variety generally designed to be worn without underwear? Or do you get some shorts which are designed to be worn with underwear?

Secondly, why are they all so expensive?

Thirdly, any particular brands you suggest?

Finally, is the objective of a dedicated cycling short solely to improve comfort?
To answer your 4 questions:

1: they are designed to be worn without underwear, the pad in the shorts needs to be against the skin

2: there are lots of expensive shorts but also lots of cheap. I favour the better quality shorts because they are more comfortable but you can easily pick a pair up for £20

3: for cheap I have used Speg which were very good for the money. The ZipVit bib shorts are excellent if you don't mind the branding and are ridiculously cheap for the quality of the product. I also like some of the Specialized bibs, very comfortable and a good fit.

4: cycle clothing is technical equipment, wicking sweat away and improving comfort so yes I would say this is the main aim.

SWSteve

Guru
I would recommend either these or these (the bibs are favoured by many because they do not have waist bands).
What kind of bike do you ride? This may also impact what you wear, you can always wear baggies over lycra shorts

Firstly, are all shorts include the Lycra variety generally designed to be worn without underwear? Or do you get some shorts which are designed to be worn with underwear? ditch the undies, you'll be more comfortable (some still wear undies but these people are creeps

Secondly, why are they all so expensive? it depends where you look, places like wiggle or Planet x may sell shorts cheaper (depending on what you see as expensive)

Thirdly, any particular brands you suggest? see above

Finally, is the objective of a dedicated cycling short solely to improve comfort? mainly yes, some are also designed to increase performance through compressional materials

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Always commando. It's how they are designed to be worn.
They are not all expensive, you can find cheap shorts if you look around, Decathlon, Lidl, etc

Steady

Über Member
Certain Aldi stores have some left over from their previous cycling event, and since there's another due this month they are generally knocking down the prices so they can be picked up for £5. I picked up some Aldi shorts on Saturday but I haven't tried them yet, the pad seems thinner than the Scott ones I bought from StartCycles when they had their sale on, picked them up for £9.

They can be expensive, but my Scott ones have been fine. If I wear underwear some times I can be fine, and then other times I can end up pretty sore so I just go without whenever I can.

I find bib shorts very much more comfortable than the ordinary sort. I guess it is because they are firmly anchored in place and cannot therefore ruckle or move around separately from the person wearing them. I would say that it is well worth paying a bit more for these. You seem to get a better fit and the pad is better too. If you are lucky enough to find a cheap pair that work for you, fine, but choose with care. This is probably as important a choice as saddle.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just avoid muddy fox from sports direct, they are appalling! I used them while trying on some unpadded leggings, what a pitiful excuse for a pad

Decent shorts don't actually have to be expensive, search through the clearance section in higher end shops or websites, such as sigma. I often find stuff half price

Dhb from wiggle are well regarded for the money (don't fit me though)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So ... the design brief states no briefs.

I know nothing about bib shorts so apart from the above fatuous pun I have nothing to add.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You can spend £10.00 or £100.00. Its all about personal choice. What suits one person won't suit another. You'll have to try the trial and error approach im afraid, and yes commando is the way to go.

It may well be the case that some shorts are not adversely affected by pants beneath.

I was interested to see that Aldi were selling cycling underwear recently. I am a big fan of Aldi, but did not look very closely at them.

ScotiaLass

Guru
It may well be the case that some shorts are not adversely affected by pants beneath.

I was interested to see that Aldi were selling cycling underwear recently. I am a big fan of Aldi, but did not look very closely at them.
Don't bother. I got a pair and they are horrendous! They wrinkled up and made me really sore. They are now in the bin.

If I could have ridden straight into the shower after a very wet and muddy 50K on Saturday then I would have done. Both the young women I was riding with experienced that "extra layer discomfort."
My best pair of bib-shorts (Etxeondo) were still too wet to wear after that, so yesterday's ride meant digging out an old pair of Karrimores. I think I will wear the wet ones next time!

Top Bottom