Cycling with panniers, and a buckled wheel...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Silly question, but I've noticed this week that I've a slight buckle in my wheel.
I'm just wondering if this is partly due to riding with a single pannier bag ladled with my work gear, lunch etc.

I've not overloaded this bag, the heaviest item is my bike lock, but usually it carries my overshoes, waterproof jacket and a change of clothes.
Depending on the day of the week it can carry my towel, flannel, work trousers and a shirt, but usually it's a shirt and lunch.

Casting my mind back though, I have felt this oddity before having the pannier, and believe it could be possibly down to hammering it round corners.

The wheel is a twin walled AlexRim, suitable for disc brakes, and it's the first buckle I've noticed.

I don't mount curbs, hammer stairs or anything. The bike gets lifted out of my house and onto the street and lifted into my workplace. I've had it fall a few times too, as I pin the wheel between two steps outside my door (while grabbing my pannier bag, or closing the front door).

Is there anything I should be aware of, is this partly because of the single bag, the falls or my powering through corners, or a combination of all the above (plus the ultra smooth roads around here)?

Thanks guys! I'm asking because I hope to avoid this happening again, and also happening on my new bike too.

Tim Hall

It's very unlikely to be because of the one pannier. Top culprits are (a) not very well built wheels, with low spoke tension (b) broken spoke or (c) you hit a bump.

Either buy a spoke key and look up how to true it on t'internet or take it into your LBS, where they'll charge around a tenner.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ditto on Tims Comments.

most likely a mix of pothole and poor quality (for that read Usual quality) spokes.

May be worth upgrading the spokes to gain a higher tension if you plan to continue carrying a load

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Thanks Tim and Steve.

I've actually got a friend looking at the wheel tomorrow (hopefully) while I'm in work, as he's a newly qualified bike mechanic, and as part of his business plan, he's doing onsite repairs (depending on the repair).

Ah! Will definitely look into the higher tension spokes @jonny jeez . The load is basically an offset weight which used to be on my back, but given the money I've recently come into, I was determined to sort out some of my cycling complaints (crap light, annoying carrying of non-waterproof bag on back).

The potholes and bad roads around here are definitely always going to be a problem, my first bike proved that issue, but then I was at my heaviest.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thanks Tim and Steve.

I've actually got a friend looking at the wheel tomorrow (hopefully) while I'm in work, as he's a newly qualified bike mechanic, and as part of his business plan, he's doing onsite repairs (depending on the repair).

Ah! Will definitely look into the higher tension spokes @jonny jeez . The load is basically an offset weight which used to be on my back, but given the money I've recently come into, I was determined to sort out some of my cycling complaints (crap light, annoying carrying of non-waterproof bag on back).

The potholes and bad roads around here are definitely always going to be a problem, my first bike proved that issue, but then I was at my heaviest.
I got through a rim a year for two years (both cracked) just from riding in and out of town each week. LBS spent a hundred quid replacing the spokes and ...well...touch wood

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Commute all the time with a loaded single pannier with no problems and it's nothing to do with hammering it around corners either.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Ideal, so it's purely down to the roads and possibly it falling over then. Thank's all!

I thought I best ask, as want to try and stop it from happening in future.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Well, had a friend look at it this morning, took two minutes to check the wheel and see the problem.
I've clearly hit a pothole or something as one of the spokes has ripped through the rim, and another has badly cracked.

So I believe the pinning isn't the factor, but will be considering another way to pin the bike up while locking up etc, as can't have it keep falling over nor do I want another ripped spoke.

Top Bottom