Cyclist dies after hit and run - Beare Green, Surrey.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Left to die in the road, in the cold and dark, how could anyone do that.

Surrey Police announced on Sunday afternoon that a 47-year-old woman from the Horley area has been arrested on suspicion of failing to stop at the scene of an accident and drink driving.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
R.i.p to the young lad who has died.

Windassisted

Indefensible, this road is a country trunk road gentle bends, twin dual carriageway with a 50mph speed limit . perfect visibility no hazards at all . However it has more than it's fair share of accidents all caused by drink and idiots racing. Just cant help wondering how long he had been left lying there.

Crankarm

Guru
People don't care any more, or at least some people don't. They live their lives by the rule of 'if I ignore it, it will go away', or the well worn 'it's not my problem, someone will pick up after me'.:angry:

People are sh!ts. If they have done something wrong and they think no one has seen they will try and get away, denying all involvement. If it was near the Esso garage in the pictures then maybe the vehicle and driver were identified by the CCTV here. Just a thought.

If the woman who has been arrested is responsible for killing some one through drink driving then leaving the guy to die on the road in the dead of night, then she deserves to be locked up for a full life term never to see the light of day ever again. Scum. Brings back bad memories of my hit and run one year ago.

clockman

Über Member
Indefensible, this road is a country trunk road gentle bends, twin dual carriageway with a 50mph speed limit . perfect visibility no hazards at all . However it has more than it's fair share of accidents all caused by drink and idiots racing. Just cant help wondering how long he had been left lying there.
I used to live opposite Mill Lane (where the road was closed from), I know how fast people drive along that section of road. I lost count of the number of times my parents and I helped accident victims. When I lived there, the road it was 70 mph from North Holmwood! So I'll leave it to your imagination the speeds that where done 15 or so years ago! The whole of that section of A24 has been a notorious accident black spot for as long as I can remember.
The section where the accident appears to of happened, is not well illuminated. Any cyclist, even with lights, would possibly have been a black hole. Especially on an overcast night like last night.
I do hope he had lights on and they were working, if he didn't, unfortunately the driver will have a stronger case in mitigation. If it is proved drink was involved on their part then I hope they can live with themselves. The fact they drove away from an accident sort of answers that though. Obviously not much of a conscience. The callousness of this person saddens me and leaves me cold.
This is a horrible accident and my thoughts are with the victims family and friends. He was braver than me, I wouldn't ride that section of the A24 in daylight, let alone a dark November night. I do also hope that the victim wasn't drink/drugs impaired.
I also seem to remember that they used to run time trials from Holmwood to Beare Green on Sundays and occasional summers evenings.

Top Bottom