Cyclist down - Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ferret fur

Yes, condolences to his family

RIP

A real shock for me, less than half a mile from my house & on my commute. Hoping it is nobody on here.
I notice it is right by where the lane is narrowed by roadworks. Since these started I have had several vehicles attempt to squeeze by rather than wait for 50 yards.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
m8 at work rides past this spot most days, we think ( and its pure speculation) that he has overtaken a bus in the green lane and then came into contact with a taxi?? Possibly not looked over shoulder ( life saver they refer to on motor bikes ?? ) It just reiterates how careful you need to be whilst out in the open road.

fimm

Veteran
RIP and condolences to family and friends.

I assume that is the actual taxi in the photo on the BBC - the plate is pixellated out and there's damage to the windscreen.

normskirus

Veteran
Thoughts with his family.

I cycle corstophine/st Johns road on my way back home and past these roadworks at the Chinese Emabssy. You do tend to get people trying to squeeze past before the choke point.

But we can only guess at what happened here the full facts should come out over time.

Normskirus

ferret fur

we think ( and its pure speculation) that he has overtaken a bus in the green lane and then came into contact with a taxi?

You are right...it IS just pure speculation. I drove past at 10 o'clock. The incident occurred at the eastern end of the roadworks, not by the bus stop opposite the Chinese Embassy. No bus involved as far as I could see & there was no reason why a cyclist would be overtaking one at this point. The taxi was stopped part way into the Bus lane.

ferret fur

Just subjective but I've never liked Corstorphine Road,

I would have said that normally it is OK. You usually have a Bus Lane to yourself, which considering it is the major route in from the West to Edinburgh isn't too bad.

Top Bottom