Cyclist down - hit & run Stirlingshire, Crow Rd A822

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The cyclist was hit three days ago and left for dead. After an appeal, it appears the driver has handed himself in.

"The vehicle involved in the collision is likely to have sustained some exterior damage and so anyone who notices some new dents or marks on the car of a family member, friend or neighbour, who is likely to have driven along the B822, should also get in touch."

I wonder if a neighbour/family member noticed the damage to his car...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-37428713

GC

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The cyclist was hit three days ago and left for dead. After an appeal, it appears the driver has handed himself in.

"The vehicle involved in the collision is likely to have sustained some exterior damage and so anyone who notices some new dents or marks on the car of a family member, friend or neighbour, who is likely to have driven along the B822, should also get in touch."

I wonder if a neighbour/family member noticed the damage to his car...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-37428713

GC

Quite likely.

The news media is often heavily criticised, but there's no doubt appeals for information play a vital role in getting an investigation underway.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The news media is often heavily criticised, but there's no doubt appeals for information play a vital role in getting an investigation underway.
Yes, it's good that that helps, but the BBC and its elk still prejudice the investigations with such language as "was knocked off his bike by a car" as if the driver was just an innocent uninvolved observer rather than the person controlling the offending car.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
We have a hit and run situation near me, boy of 12 knocked over by a blonde youth in a Ford Focus. boy who was knocked over was with another lad, both were on a roundabout (a smallish one at that. No-one caught yet, appealing for witnesses at present. Shocking how people can do this.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, it's good that that helps, but the BBC and its elk still prejudice the investigations with such language as "was knocked off his bike by a car" as if the driver was just an innocent uninvolved observer rather than the person controlling the offending car.

An appeal for information won't prejudice any investigation - those tasked with doing that won't take any account of the wording of the appeal, even if they've seen it.

Lots of complaints on here about the way collisions are reported, but the absolutely safe - and best - way is for the report to be neutral: "A car and a cyclist were in collision,".

Complaining that using the term 'a car' is biased verges on the ludicrous - all cars have drivers so there is absolutely no inference the driver is somehow not responsible for controlling his vehicle.

Equally, one could say 'a car was in collision with a bike', although that tends to suggest the bike was not being ridden at the time.

In almost all cases, the rest of the story will say if car or bike was being driven/ridden at the time.

Slick

Guru
I was on this road last week. A white oncoming car crossed the white line to pass us at speed. We weren't exactly sure what he was trying to gain but it was obvious he wasn't happy we were there. There is a few nice loop rides near that stretch, pity there are so many drivers unwilling to share the road with cyclists.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Complaining that using the term 'a car' is biased verges on the ludicrous - all cars have drivers so there is absolutely no inference the driver is somehow not responsible for controlling his vehicle.
Odd, I could swear I've been seeing a lot about self-driving cars lately.

Equally, one could say 'a car was in collision with a bike', although that tends to suggest the bike was not being ridden at the time.
At least that treats everyone equally.

In almost all cases, the rest of the story will say if car or bike was being driven/ridden at the time.
Only in a few.

This habit of absolving the driver is so ingrained that even many cyclists see nothing odd with it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Your comment about driverless cars is fatuous, everyone knows there are none on the roads.

To say there is habit of absolving the driver is also, I'm afraid, nonsense, which is something you would know if you had any idea of how these stories are bashed together and published.

You are entitled to your view, but I doubt many cyclists or any members of the public share it.

Of course, they may all be dense and gullible, and you may be the only one with the insight to see the real picture.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Sorry but car-centric culture has to be seen to be a good thing.
The carnage and suffering has to be removed and airbrushed away...

We have road incidents,
Eh no, we have road accidents.

The idiot motorist crashed his car.
Eh no, the car left the road and collided with a tree..

Advertisements always show busy roads with vehicles crawling along.
Er no, they show a car in isolation in a wide open space

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member

The bbc elk. I apologise for a fatuous comment in a serious thread and a spelling/typo lame to boot. I just cannot help myself sometimes.

Rocky_Mountain_Bull_Elk.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom