Cyclist down Reigate, but OK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siadwell

Guru
Incident involving a BT van pulling out into the path of a cyclist caught on camera in Surrey
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/caught-film-moment-cyclist-hit-van-125559

Bit close to home for me, this one. Nasty junction, but at that time of day there wouldn't be too much traffic so no excuse for what happened.
No further action from the police! The cyclist seems quite sanguine about the incident but I'm angry and have contacted the police to ask why not.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
wow, he was going fast.
it seems to be acceptable for drivers to make these basic mistakes and cause serious injury, but get off with a simple, "Sorry, I didnt see you"
I agree with some of the comments about the 1st van driver, who shouldnt have pulled out either, he was far too close and the second van driver just seemed to follow like a lemming.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'd be asking why the driver wasn't charged too.
This attitude of "sh!t happens" (so far as cyclists are concerned) amongst the police is too common.

GC

MichaelO

Veteran
Blimey - that's only a couple of miles away from me - quite often heading through Wray Common to Reigate - it's a quick downhill piece of road, but I must admit I'm always aware of cars coming out of the 2-3 junctions at that point - there's quite often someone trying to "jump" across the road between vehicles. The guy actually came off quite well considering the collision!

Crankarm

Guru
OMG! The BT driver could have killed him. Fortunately no vehicle was approaching in the opposite direction or footage may well be even more terrible.

Driver was probably on the phone.

I used to cycle that road every day, there is no excuse for not seeing the cyclist, the junction has a clear view both ways. The only reason you could not see the cyclist coming is if you didnt bother to actually look. The driver should at least be charged with undue care and attention.

Top Bottom