Cyclist killed by lorry, unicyclist has bus lifted off him

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep, it's a very familiar tale. I've had to develop a new (and frankly quite risky) tactic, when riding in traffic, in London. I stay well away from anything remotely heavy which is ahead of me. If I spot something heavy approaching from behind, and I'm near a junction, I put myself right in the middle of the lane. They don't like it much, but I'd rather inconvenience 'em a bit, than get squashed as they (invariably) close the door as they get to the junction. The risk is that something moving from right to left on the approach, clatters you. It's not an ideal situation, but if the clowns driving the heavy's, can't be more vigilant, it's the lesser of two evils.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yep, it's a very familiar tale. I've had to develop a new (and frankly quite risky) tactic, when riding in traffic, in London. I stay well away from anything remotely heavy which is ahead of me. If I spot something heavy approaching from behind, and I'm near a junction, I put myself right in the middle of the lane. They don't like it much, but I'd rather inconvenience 'em a bit, than get squashed as they (invariably) close the door as they get to the junction. The risk is that something moving from right to left on the approach, clatters you. It's not an ideal situation, but if the clowns driving the heavy's, can't be more vigilant, it's the lesser of two evils.
I never have this problem.

Sometimes I wonder if there is another "London" that I am yet to find.

I don't seem to have any ...or at least very few, of the issues that riders talk about while riding through town.

I genuinely wonder if its a speed thing (no disrespect to those that ride at a slower pace to me.) when I ride slowly with a different ride buddy i do feel a lot more at risk then when I ride my own pace.

Perhaps I have found a pace that neither inconveniences or frustrates other road users.

I appreciate that this sounds like an arrogant response but the question needs asking. Is it more hazardous to ride slowly through heavy traffic?

Perhaps i should start a thread to ask the question

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Two stories in this article:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/29/cyclist-killed-lorry-collision-london-denmark-hill

Awful news about the 32-year-old female cyclist, but not much detail. The 6th lorry-related cycle death in London this year.

Passers-by actually lifted a bus off a unicyclist in Walthamstow. Extraordinary thing.
"Kyra Sam told the newspaper: “I’m really amazed at the strength of Walthamstow – no one hesitated to push the bus off. I was in shock. Everyone really came together to help. It was really nice to see that in the face of something so awful.”
Inspiring really.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Let's keep it respectful here - the speed discussion is an interesting one and can continue in jonny's thread with fewer holds barred.

Last edited by a moderator:

J1888

Über Member
Really sad that someone else has died on London's roads.

Reading the BBC report, it would appear that out of the 6 cyclists to die this year, 5 have been women.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
RIP

Top Bottom