Cyclist killed in Harworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Driver charged with murder.
A man has been charged with murder in connection of a fatal collision involving a car and a cyclist in Harworth.
Sam Spavan, 26, of Norfolk Road, Bircotes, Doncaster, has been charged with the murder of Richard Pencott.
Mr Pencott, 44, of Balmoral Court, Bircotes, was killed in the crash in Faraday Close, Harworth, on Wednesday.
Spavan has been remanded in custody and is due to appear at Nottingham Magistrates' Court on Saturday morning.

The village name may spark some old memories. It was the home of Tom Simpson, and he's buried there.

Drago

Legendary Member
Strewth, murder?! I wonder what went on there?

Condolences to the poor chaps family.

Keith Oates

Janner
That sounds to be something more than someone being hit by a car, no doubt we will find out more in the future.!!!

Whatever happened, condolences to his family.!!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The driver remanded in custody! I somehow think the fact that the deceased was on a bike might be irrelevant. It must have been a deliberate attempt to kill and the driver a serious danger to the public.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The driver has now pleaded guilty to murder:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35094901

A motorist who deliberately crashed his car into a cyclist has pleaded guilty to murder.

Sam Spaven drove his Audi into 44-year-old Richard Pencott as he was riding along Blyth Road in Harworth, Nottinghamshire, on 24 June.

The 26-year-old, of Norfolk Road, Bircotes, admitted murder at Nottingham Crown Court earlier.

Spaven will be sentenced on Tuesday morning, when more details of the case will be heard.

Mr Pencott, who died at the scene of the crash, also lived in Bircotes.

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The sentence was life imprisonment with a minimum of 25 years. I hope he rots there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35101463

Witnesses reported seeing damage to his car's windscreen and a big dent in the body work.

Judge Michael Stokes said it was "premeditated, deliberate murder."

"Why? Because you, obsessed as you were with your former partner and mother of your child, were blinded by jealousy and bent on revenge."

A statement from Mr Pencott's family described him as "honest and hardworking" and called the murder "unprovoked and cowardly".

GC

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
25 years minimum, that's some sentence! If he'd been drunk or using his mobile phone when he killed the cyclist he'd have been given about 3 years inside because it wouldn't be classed as intentional, but it's the same death for the cyclist!

It just goes to show how hard it is to be charged with murder using a car.

http://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/blog/2015-12-15/sam-spaven-jailed-murder-richard-pencott
Less than an hour before his attack, Spaven visited his former partner and threatened violence against both before saying: “I’ve sorted something this morning, don’t worry…let’s see what happens when I drive past him.”

I suspect if there was any less proof than this, he might have go away with it.

Top Bottom