1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclist leapt for safety on Blackfriars bridge

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by jefmcg, 7 Aug 2012.

1. jefmcg

jefmcg Über Member

2. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It! Staff Member

Hmm,

There is a very strong case for not using the cycle lane and sticking to the main road at that junction - just enforces my view in that cycle lanes aren't worth the paint on the road.

HLaB, BrazingSaddles, gaz and 3 others like this.
  3. Drago

Drago Blue Veined Member

That's what happens when you "thought" they'd seen you. Assumption is the mother of all unpleasantness.

Pleased the Lass lives to fight another day.

HLaB, MissTillyFlop and Maylian like this.
  4. fossyant

I read that too - you can't think people see you. Certainly had one this morning - they sometimes see you, but still pull out/turn. Well worth riding as traffic at junctions like that. Many cyclists think these painted lanes actually mean something - they don't - she shouldn't have even been at the side of a big truck to start with, lane or not.

5. psmiffy

psmiffy -

ditto - the few times ive been that way in the past few years ive inched myself into the traffic - the layout is very similar to what you you see in many european countries - however, without any protection for cyclists - inevitable that there will be incidents

6. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

Would be interesting to see how she takes this junction following the incident.

7. fossyant

She even mentions she saw it indicate. I'd let the truck go.

8. Miquel In De Rain

Miquel In De Rain No Longer Posting

North side of the bridge I take it...The layout is bloody awful and dangerous.Not impressed.

IMHO.

I cycled there one Saturday night a year or two ago and there had been two accidents involving cars and a bus.

9. Mike!

Mike! Über Member

Going down the inside of a large vehicle whether it's indicating or not is asking for trouble, don't blame the road!

10. Miquel In De Rain

Did this person go down the side of the vehicle though or did the lorry just overtake and throw a left?

Would agree,looks like I didn't read the article properly?

11. Mike!

Mike! Über Member

A quote from the text on that link;

On reaching the red traffic lights at the junction of Blackfriars Bridge and Victoria Embankment I stopped behind three or four cyclists in the cycle lane, waiting to go straight ahead. I was next to next to a truck as were the cyclists ahead of me. The truck was indicating left.

Don't get me wrong, i'm more than glad she wasn't seriously hurt or worse but....

MissTillyFlop likes this.
  12. Miquel In De Rain

I know,I didn't read it properly.Sorry.:whistle:

The thing is I see this sort of thing all the time and I guess so does everyone else.

13. Mike!

Mike! Über Member

Me too, even in Sleepy Suffolk!

People really need to take responsibility for their own safety by actually looking at their surroundings rather than following others or road markings / traffic signals etc like sheep and assuming everyone else will get out of their way.

Minor rant over ^_^

4F likes this.
  14. psmiffy

psmiffy -

I agree with the post above that she might have been more circumspect - however - the layout encourages cyclists to think that left turning traffic will give way - which it probably does on many occasions - ive noticed in London that 1) cyclists often just follow the lead 2) taking a more cautious approach often leaves one open to abuse from the cyclists behind

15. Hip Priest

Hip Priest Veteran

I know that, and you know that, but many inexperienced cyclists make the not unreasonable assumption that if they're in a cycle lane, they're ok. Therein lies the problem with our cycling infrastructure.

MissTillyFlop likes this.
  16. Miquel In De Rain

I think I didn't really want to believe that she went on the inside of a lorry.I wasn't there so I can't really see for myself what went on though.

17. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

this is exactly the case. Susie takes this route every day (and I accompany her when I can). You have to be circumspect.

Having said that...the truck driver didn't look.

18. sabian92

sabian92 Über Member

If you keep riding like that you should expect to be run over. A 40 tonne lorry won't even flinch if it runs somebody over, so -10 points for her assuming. What's that phrase - assuming makes an ass out of you and me? An (almost) dead ass in this instance. :sad:

It sounds like (as much as I sound like a total arse here) her own fault. You ride down the inside of a lorry and things like this happen.

I'm glad she's OK but she's so bloody stupid for riding up the inside then carrying on straight ahead when she saw it indicating left.

Mike! likes this.
  19. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

To be frank, so does the highway code:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070332

When turning
    • keep as close to the left as is safe and practicable
    give way to any vehicles using a bus lane, cycle lane or tramway from either direction

20. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

can we share a moments silence for ruth's bike...

:blush:

:angry:

:sad:

:eek:

:huh:

:cry:

thank you [sniff]

Pat "5mph" likes this.