Cyclist spent 3 years finding owner of dog who caused him to fall off his bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was it a sheepdog trial? I've sued loads of dogs but I don't win a lot.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I feel sorry for both parties.

I cant believe The Daily Mail didnt mention headwear. He must have changed his bike because there is no bell to ring on that bike. Or maybe I have just opened the door for an appeal.

I have had near misses with retractable leads before. One of them was when the owner was on one side of the road and the dog was on the opposite verge. I wished I had been driving the car that day. I would have loved to see the owners face.

Karlt

Heil readers all posting how horrible he is and how he deserves all that pain and suffering. What a hateful bunch they are. Notably the Mail doesn't mention that the woman's liability insurers would actually have been the ones to put their hands in their pockets.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I cycled around Heysham years ago. I didn't see many dog walkers but you could tell it was a popular dog walking area. There was dog crap all over the place. They might think they're posh but the dirty beggars don't pick up their dog crap!:headshake:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
There also seemed to be an assumption in the comments that 'little old lady' = 'poor/not well off' -which is by no means always the case!

Neilsmith

Retractable leads are an absolute menace and anyone, never mind a cyclist should be VERY wary of any dog being walked with one fitted.
I completely agree, I often use the cycle path along the coast and frequently have had to stop when I come across a dog walker on one side of the path and the dog on the other connected by one of these leads.

Karlt

There's as
There also seemed to be an assumption in the comments that 'little old lady' = 'poor/not well off' -which is by no means always the case!

Not to mention the assumption that the cyclist was on a path and shouldn't have been there. I doubt this; many promenades are dual use. IME pedestrians seldom know they are on a dual use facility; they can walk anywhere so have no need to look for signs.

Neilsmith

[QUOTE 4027072, member: 9609"]Do you feel that being on a bike gives you some sort of divine right to be never slowed or hindered by bloody pedestrians ? If its a shared path, then share it. and if you don't like that concept then stay on the road.[/QUOTE]
That's a huge leap you've taken there. I always slow on the cycle path for pedestrians and pass animals and people safely, is it too much to ask for them to think of my safety?

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4027072, member: 9609"]Do you feel that being on a bike gives you some sort of divine right to be never slowed or hindered by bloody pedestrians ? If its a shared path, then share it. and if you don't like that concept then stay on the road.[/QUOTE]
Speaking for myself, No, I don't feel a right, but it is a SHARED path, no group has priority, so why do many dog owners feel they have the right to delay other categories of user on a whim?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
To be fair, It didn't sound in the.article like the lady with the dog was acting capriciously or on a whim any more than it sounds from the number and significance of injuries like the rider, having sounded out his instructions to everyone else by bell had then slowed or anticipated any sort of random occurence (that had it been car not anticipating bike avoiding pot hole etc would have seen the driver castigated as a dangerous idiot by a good proportion on here).

Sad tale all round.

Top Bottom