Cyclist suffers serious injuries after collision with a car towing a caravan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, this is one that scares me. You're passed a little close (but not too close) by a 4x4; as it passes, you relax and move slightly right. Then you realise it's towing a boat, a caravan, or most commonly a horse box. And that's a little closer still, and maybe swaying towards you. And it's sharp edges are even more scary than the smooth front of the car that's towing it.

sidevalve

Über Member
Ah, this is one that scares me. You're passed a little close (but not too close) by a 4x4; as it passes, you relax and move slightly right. Then you realise it's towing a boat, a caravan, or most commonly a horse box. And that's a little closer still, and maybe swaying towards you. And it's sharp edges are even more scary than the smooth front of the car that's towing it.
"You relax and move slightly RIGHT "? "maybe swinging towards you"? It don't have to - you're swinging towards it ! Er no, assuming everything is ok and nothing is there is usually the german car drivers favourite move. Surely 2 seconds of extra caution is not too big a price to pay to stay alive.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
And the police making excuses for the driver, "They may not be aware of the collision..."

Err bull poo.

Am I the only one that remembers that mirrors are for checking behind after passing a hazard?

Dum de dum de dum....here I go to overtake a cyclist.....[passing]..........[past]............hang on, the cyclist isn't there anymore/is on the floor...I'd better stop....?

May not be aware my arse.

Another fookin hit and run.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I can't remember having a decent overtake from a towed caravan, thinking about it. Not sure if it's a greater propensity towards hatred of cyclists among their owners, or lack of awareness of the width of the caravan on tow.

John never go on a caravan forum and tell them you are a cyclist.

This is bullcrap. I tow a caravan and I take extra special care when overtaking cyclists. Even more care than when I'm not towing. Do not tar all caravanners with the same brush. We caravan as it's the ONLY way that we can get away with Hubster's medical condition.
Oh, we have a Swedish car, for the record.

Drago

Legendary Member
He tells us he drives a Swedish car, as if that's supposed to reassure us two wheeled road users!

I'd love a wally wagon, I think they're great, but I got no where to keep one.

"You relax and move slightly RIGHT "? "maybe swinging towards you"? It don't have to - you're swinging towards it ! Er no, assuming everything is ok and nothing is there is usually the german car drivers favourite move. Surely 2 seconds of extra caution is not too big a price to pay to stay alive.
I don't really mean I move right, but you know how it is when you are passed very closely: keeping your eye on the vehicle, watching for potholes, staying as close to left as you dare, watching for oncoming cars etc. When they pass, you relax. You stop concentrating on holding the line as tightly, which may mean a slight move right. I'm talking a couple of centimetres, not a large distance. And then you are reminded that some vehicles don't end with their tail lights. If I had thought of that as they passed, I would have behaved differently.

But it's still surprising that someone towing something that has a degree of movement doesn't give you at least 1.5 metres.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
This is bullcrap. I tow a caravan and I take extra special care when overtaking cyclists. Even more care than when I'm not towing. Do not tar all caravanners with the same brush. We caravan as it's the ONLY way that we can get away with Hubster's medical condition.
Oh, we have a Swedish car, for the record.
Whoah! I'm only relating personal experience.

Mrs M's parents were caravanners for many years, and I'm fairly certain they'd not close pass cyclists. However, riding locally (South Cheshire), the few I have seen have been conducted along the roads badly enough that they're a heartsink vehicle for me now, in the same way that Manchester's "Magic Bus" vehicles, or new shape minis are.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This happened about 30 years ago when a caravan knocked my sister off her touring bike into the ditch in Wensleydale, knocking her unconscious. The driver didn't stop. A few weeks later she developed the first symptoms of multiple sclerosis that eventually killed her after a miserable life. I will always wonder if the accident caused the illness.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have a confession to make.

Sad as it is I'm with the otherwise odious Clarkson on this.

'Caravanners should be shot!'

I'll get my coat and sword and leave before doing the decent thing.

Top Bottom