Cyclists Special 1955

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lardyboy said:
What a charming little film. They don't make them like that any more

We (Cyclemagic) and Dave Holladay from the CTC worked on recreating the film in 2005 but were let down by the train companies:sad:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hilldodger said:
We (Cyclemagic) and Dave Holladay from the CTC worked on recreating the film in 2005 but were let down by the train companies:sad:

Out of interest hilldodger, which TOC's let you down?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
simoncc said:
Fourteen years before man walked on the moon it was so easy to get a bike on a train.
Thirty nine years after man landed on the moon it is a bureaucraric nightmare.
That's progress!
At about 14.45' onwards, though, the narrator hints that it wasn't always so cushty:
"We get rid of our enemies by making them our friends...once it used to be a running bvattle to get reduced charges for cycles, and greater security in their conveyance...now just look at us" ... er... quite! Also, earlier, (4.00 or thereabouts) he says that the cycle coaches have been purloined from the trains going to channel ferries.
Finally, the sleeping woman at 15.38... ;)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hilldodger said:
Can't remeber now but it was whoever ran the London - Manchester route

It would of been Virgin then. If you ever felt the urge to try again, maybe try EWS, the freight people. They would have the wagons and wherewithall to put a train together for cyclists needs. Most Passenger companies wouldn't have the rolling stock to take a load of bikes.

Paulus said:
It would of been Virgin then. If you ever felt the urge to try again, maybe try EWS, the freight people. They would have the wagons and wherewithall to put a train together for cyclists needs. Most Passenger companies wouldn't have the rolling stock to take a load of bikes.

I think Dave did talk with EWS but no joy on a Sunday.

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Hilldodger said:
I think Dave did talk with EWS but no joy on a Sunday.

The normal TOCs don't really bother with running special trains, other than for the odd events here and there. There are charter operators around though who could organise something and source suitable stock. Someone like West Coast Railway Co at Carnforth maybe. If its any use I can find a couple of numbers for charter companies who might be able to help.

Unfortunately the funding opportunity has now past:sad:

Mortiroloboy

I was a mere twinkle, in fact probably not even a twinkle as my Mum and Dad hadn't even met in 1955. What a fantastic film, nothing has really changed in the club cyclist's world.

My late father in law related a story to me not long before he passed away about one day in the very late 50's when he went to the aid of a cyclist who was doing a time trial down the A4 when he suddenly had a nose bleed and had to dismount. he referred to the cyclist as Reg Harris, it wasn't Reg Harris but a member of my club, when I told him the story my father in law had related, he remembered the occassion, as a local doctor came out from his house along the A4 to render assistance.

Nowadays if you suffered a nose bleed whilst out on a TT and fell off, you'd probably get mugged, or run over by chavs or white van man!

Top Bottom