David Beckham's accent.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
....it's gone!

As a linguist with a keen ear for accents I noticed a couple of years ago that David's dahn sarf accent was disappearing. Heard a soundbite with him on the radio this morning and he now sounds almost completely neutral, with only the tiniest carefully modulated hint of a region in his voice.

I know absolutly zilch about cheese-rolling but I imagine his wife takes him to lots of smart tea parties to show off her clothes, where he mixes with people with nice accents. Actually he has a decent timbre and I think he sounds okay on radio - maybe he will retire and find work as a sports commentator?

I ain't gorra ak cent

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Rigid Raider said:
....it's gone!

As a linguist with a keen ear for accents I noticed a couple of years ago that David's dahn sarf accent was disappearing. Heard a soundbite with him on the radio this morning and he now sounds almost completely neutral, with only the tiniest carefully modulated hint of a region in his voice.

I know absolutly zilch about cheese-rolling but I imagine his wife takes him to lots of smart tea parties to show off her clothes, where he mixes with people with nice accents. Actually he has a decent timbre and I think he sounds okay on radio - maybe he will retire and find work as a sports commentator?

Wouldn't he require at least some sort of brain to do that?

I've always felt it was an act of unnecessary cruelty to stick a microphone under his nose and by that I'm referring to content and not accent.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And over to David Beckham.
Umm thank you Jim, umm, yes, umm, England are playing umm well umm this half Jim, and umm, if they start umm pushing forward umm they will umm start to penetrate umm the sold defensive umm wall that the oposing ummm team have umm put to good use in the umm first ummm half.....

Rigid Raider said:
....it's gone!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hmmm, that's a non-starter then. Could he read the cheese-rolling results or do the speaking clock voice?

Top Bottom