David's story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I read the article but decided not to watch the video.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I don't know what to say. Horrendous to watch and has brought back memories of a similar family tragedy.

thecube

It's not pleasant to see that, but it does show how quickly life can be over, literally the blink of an eye and that's it. I think it would be good for motorists to watch this. I certainly know a few motorcylists that i'd like to show this to! I think this is why I get aggitated when drivers do things like jumping red lights, that could be me on my pushbike coming the other way. I know the road well. It's powerful stuff.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm always wary of cars turning right in front of me they seem to be looking at the turning instead of what's coming towards them a lot of the time.
Similar accident happened to a mate of mine, luckily he survived it and also managed to headbutt the driver as he went through the van windscreen. Lets hope some good comes of this short safety film in raising driver awareness and as for the victims speed I don't think this was a factor as the driver didn't even see the following car :eek:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
97mph on a bike + driving a car with due care and attention = everyone goes home
97mph + driving like a nobber as per the video = dead motorcyclist
60mph (NSL on that road?) + driving like a nobber = motorcyclist goes home in an ambulance if he's very very lucky.
30 mph + driving like a nobber = a lottery. I've walked away from similar, my old friend Jeremy has been in a wheelchair for 25 odd years.

The driver's lack of care and attention caused the accident not the motorcyclist's speed. imo. ime. ymmv.

Last edited:

thecube

Well it's not about the blame game, both played a part in this sad case. The driver of the car was hugely at fault, but doing a ton on a motorbike with plenty of other road users and hazards is likely to lead to an accident one day i'm afraid. If a car driver was driving at this speed we'd all moan, so no difference with the motorcycle. The A47 is a route for people to travel from A to B, not a race track.

thecube

This type of accident does seem to be quite common, my unlce was hopitalised for months after a similar collision, the driver just pulled out in front of him. It does make you wonder what on earth the drivers are looking at!

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a terrible video. I like to think the last words I ever utter won't be a pannicked "uurrgghhh!".

Poor guy was TFF, doing well in excess of 30 over the limit on a meandering road with plenty of minor junctions and poor sightlines. The last overtake he pulls before the smack was a bit tight, not to excess but it kept him concealed behing the car longer than was necessary and did nothing to help his forward view as he pulled it off. He'd crossed the fine line between fast riding into fast risk taking.

That said, the actions of the Clio driver were unforgivable. If one had been going a bit slower, and the other wasn't driving HUA then this poor lad would be alive today.

Ern1e

Über Member
This is one of those "WHAT IF" occasions and as per @Drago states it was fast risk taking and appauling driving ! and had eah been doing what they should it may well have been different for all.

Top Bottom