De Tour , Giro , Vuelta treble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
Nobody has ever done the treble of the three grand tours but has any cyclist ever come close to doing the treble ?

Yeah, me.

If I'd only trained a bit more ...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Check out this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Crown_of_Cycling

Lots of lovely stats.

Depends what you mean by "come close". I guess you could analyse all riders who have finished all 3 in a single season and figure out who has the best results - and award them the crown of "closest". Or you could say that Froome/Hinault/Merckx where close by winning all 3 consecutively (but not in the same season)

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK, Lunchime has been wasted faffing around with a spreadsheet.

I'm going to award my title of "closest" to (drum roll) ...
Gastone Nencini (ITA) 1957. He is one of only two riders to have achieved three top 10s in the same season, and he actually won one of them - being one of only two riders to complete all three and win at least one in a season. (T:6, G:1; V:9) He went on to win the tour in 1960 (which he did without winning a stage)

Second place goes to ...
Sepp Kuss (USA) 2023. He's the only rider apart from Nencini to complete all 3 and win at least one in a single season. But he was outside the top 10 in the two that he didn't win, so is pipped for the top spot. (T:14, G:12, V:1)

And the podium is completed by ...
Raphaël Géminiani (FRA) 1955. He's the only rider apart from Nencini to achieve three top 10s in a single season. He was more consistent than Nencini and Kuss (worst was 6th that year) but didn't actually get a win, so I'm demoting him to third for that (T:6, G:4, V:3)

Honourable mentions to those who finished all three in a season and got at least one podium.
Bernardo Ruiz (ESP) 1957 (T:24,G:55,V:3)
Marino Lejarreta (ESP) 1991 (T:53,G:5,V:3)
Carlos Sastre (ESP) 2006 (T:3,G:43,V:4)
Marzio Bruseghin (ITA) 2008 (T:26,G:3,V:10)
Alejandro Valverde (ESP) 2016 (T:6,G:3,V:12)

And a special prize for the only rider to complete all 3 in a season and never finish better than 100th
Julian Dean (NZL) 2009 (T:121,G:136,V:132) who coincidentally also holds the record for being the recipient of the most headbutts from Mark Renshaw.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And here's more about Nencini

https://capovelo.com/gastone-nencini/

Including a great picture of him with Yvette Horner, who in addition to riding round on top of a car in the sun playing the accordion seemed to have had a job as the Tour's one and only "podium girl" in those days
1711384632605.png

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Also famously the wife of the 2013 Vuelta Winner Chris Horner.

I thought that was Ginger Spice?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
OK, Lunchime has been wasted faffing around with a spreadsheet.

I'm going to award my title of "closest" to (drum roll) ...
Gastone Nencini (ITA) 1957. He is one of only two riders to have achieved three top 10s in the same season, and he actually won one of them - being one of only two riders to complete all three and win at least one in a season. (T:6, G:1; V:9) He went on to win the tour in 1960 (which he did without winning a stage)

Second place goes to ...
Sepp Kuss (USA) 2023. He's the only rider apart from Nencini to complete all 3 and win at least one in a single season. But he was outside the top 10 in the two that he didn't win, so is pipped for the top spot. (T:14, G:12, V:1)

And the podium is completed by ...
Raphaël Géminiani (FRA) 1955. He's the only rider apart from Nencini to achieve three top 10s in a single season. He was more consistent than Nencini and Kuss (worst was 6th that year) but didn't actually get a win, so I'm demoting him to third for that (T:6, G:4, V:3)

Honourable mentions to those who finished all three in a season and got at least one podium.
Bernardo Ruiz (ESP) 1957 (T:24,G:55,V:3)
Marino Lejarreta (ESP) 1991 (T:53,G:5,V:3)
Carlos Sastre (ESP) 2006 (T:3,G:43,V:4)
Marzio Bruseghin (ITA) 2008 (T:26,G:3,V:10)
Alejandro Valverde (ESP) 2016 (T:6,G:3,V:12)

And a special prize for the only rider to complete all 3 in a season and never finish better than 100th
Julian Dean (NZL) 2009 (T:121,G:136,V:132) who coincidentally also holds the record for being the recipient of the most headbutts from Mark Renshaw.
I can see why you have chosen winning as a crucial selection criteria and demoted Geminiani, but as you say he was actually the most consistent.
If you take an average of their positions over the year
Nencini - ave 5.3
Kuss - ave 9
Geniniani - ave 4.3

Anyway I presume the thread was started due to the dominance of a certain rider and team.
It would be a staggering achievement to win all three.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can see why you have chosen winning as a crucial selection criteria and demoted Geminiani, but as you say he was actually the most consistent.
Nencini - ave 5.3
Kuss - ave 9
Geniniani - ave 4.3

Anyway I presume the thread was started due to the dominance of a certain rider and team.

Yeah, I had Kuss and Geminiani the other way round to begin with. But then I figured if the aim is to see how close you are to winning all three, then winning one has to trump winning none.

Also famously the wife of the 2013 Vuelta Winner Chris Horner.

Gee, that guy had taste, didn't he? Hmm?
Nencini - ave 5.3
Kuss - ave 9
Geniniani - ave 4.3
Perhaps the interesting speculation, is how much higher would Kuss have been wiithout his support duties in Giro+Tour?
Of course we can never know ...

Indeed. Although I very much doubt Pog will win two this year.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Check out this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Crown_of_Cycling

Lots of lovely stats.

Depends what you mean by "come close". I guess you could analyse all riders who have finished all 3 in a single season and figure out who has the best results - and award them the crown of "closest". Or you could say that Froome/Hinault/Merckx where close by winning all 3 consecutively (but not in the same season)

When i say CLOSE i mean finishing 2nd , 3rd , 4th

Top Bottom