Dealing with abuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have only had verbal abuse once when some t****r in a range rover shouted that I should be on a cycle track even though it was only 400 feet long and at the end of it I would have had to get off my bike and cross over the road under a railway bridge to be able to re join the road and do that on a bend. Not a good place to do all that. Needless to say I gave him the finger. He didn't stop.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I used to get all worked up and give them abuse back and several times it turned a bit physical, but now I'm a bit older, well quite a bit I tend to just give them a wave.

A wave would be my choice too, if any reaction at all, but i'm struggling to remember ever getting verbal abuse when cycling. Even the school kids say nothing.

I'm less 'zen' if some idiot has used their vehicle to put my life in danger. That's when the adrenaline flows and i'll start shouting, but it's never escalated beyond that.

... but i'm struggling to remember ever getting verbal abuse when cycling. Even the school kids say nothing.

I'm less 'zen' if some idiot has used their vehicle to put my life in danger. That's when the adrenaline flows and i'll start shouting, but it's never escalated beyond that.

This is the thing; it's a lottery - everyone has different experiences, and this will influence how we behave.

I've been to A&E due to a SMIDSY, and had red wine thrown over me from a post-Badminton Range Rover [and that wasn't the most dangerous thing a passenger has done just for a laugh].
Some people have had much worse, some nothing at all. So we should be slow to judge others, IMO!

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
and then there is the spontaneous response.... which has got me into trouble before and might again. Once got chased on the london underground by telling some bone heads to go forth. My aggressive response to a outrageous piece of driving [mentioned previously] by being spontaneous/forceful wasnt in my best interest [self preservation] immediately but may have been long term.....because the driver was a local and he learnt that if he [or mates] do it again i wont passively accept it. Granted i could get beaten to a pulp but bullies usually avoid targets that fight back.
I do appreciate the sage advice of ignoring.waving/blowing kisses etc :laugh: but sometimes a spontaneous upwelling of righteous wrath wont be contained whatever the consequences!

grldtnr

and then there is the spontaneous response.... which has got me into trouble before and might again. Once got chased on the london underground by telling some bone heads to go forth. My aggressive response to a outrageous piece of driving [mentioned previously] by being spontaneous/forceful wasnt in my best interest [self preservation] immediately but may have been long term.....because the driver was a local and he learnt that if he [or mates] do it again i wont passively accept it. Granted i could get beaten to a pulp but bullies usually avoid targets that fight back.
I do appreciate the sage advice of ignoring.waving/blowing kisses etc :laugh: but sometimes a spontaneous upwelling of righteous wrath wont be contained whatever the consequences!

I don't and won't tolerate abusive language, if by what is meant, comments about my lawfull actions, like riding a bike on the highway,
Even more so since I had been knocked off through an 'accident', in which it's better described as negligence by the said driver.
That incident has coloured my judgement even more, I will defend myself against such incidents even more, but then I am blessed with a intimidating physique, should someone want to start something, then they better accept the consequences.
Like Drago, of this parish , I almost tipped over really obnoxious mini driver once , with his really boorish behaviour, it didn't help that he was working in the same office as me.
I had 2 wheels off the car in the air, ready for a clean & jerk , the oik got out the other side message received,
Bad blood between us ever since , but he never bothered me or said anything about me again.
Old mini's are not that heavy once you got them moving.

grldtnr

This is the thing; it's a lottery - everyone has different experiences, and this will influence how we behave.

I've been to A&E due to a SMIDSY, and had red wine thrown over me from a post-Badminton Range Rover [and that wasn't the most dangerous thing a passenger has done just for a laugh].
Some people have had much worse, some nothing at all. So we should be slow to judge others, IMO!

Don't wish to belittle the wine throwing Incident, hope it was decent glass of plonk !
But I have to say, I wouldn't have been sanguine about such behaviour,
Would have been little chance in seeking restitution, or retribution, but perhaps a prime example of use of head cams, that behaviour would have attracted the police attention ,
Well at least I hope so !

Don't wish to belittle the wine throwing Incident, hope it was decent glass of plonk !

I hope it wasn't - a terrible waste!

Gillstay

Über Member
But a rare thing to happen !
Was it a quiet day, I wouldn't imagine it was !

No they looked busy in the police station, but I was given serious attention and very professionally dealt with .

As was he ! ^_^

It helped that it was only the second time I had cycled in Worcester and so had not had chance to have had history with the chap as he had a grudge against someone. When he first cut me up I asked what his problem was and he just pointed at his mirror.

By the third set of lights he was still cutting me up and all the other cars were staying away, so it would have clearly shown up on the city CTV.

Top Bottom