How to behave when a big group of fast cyclists catches up with you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
This morning I had a bit of an "experience" with a group of cyclists just as I was finishing my ride.

As I was reaching the entrance to the village, a group of cyclists arrived from a lane that joins the main road on the right as I was going. The main road has a short ramp before the junction, so I was arriving slowly, and for a moment I thought they were going to come out around me as I was going past, but they held back. I expected they would overtake me, but they stayed behind though the road was clear.

About 300m further ahead there's a roundabout with poor visibility on the right, so I eased off, and saw a car coming onto the roundabout on our right, so I stopped. As I said, visibility is poor, so I stopped quite late. At this point there was a lot of swearing from the group behind me, several riders went around me through the roundabout in front of the car, and there were several comments of displeasure about me having stopped. The comments were not directed at me, but meant for me to hear them.

I am not sure what I could have done differently here, as I have no experience of riding with such groups. Any advice in case I find myself in the same situation again?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Do exactly the same. You took what you thought to be the correct decision to ensure your safety and if they didn't like it and went on to take the risk with other traffic that's their
lookout.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have got the impression that cyclists in groups, of whatever kind, get into a herd mindset and have a tendency to ride badly or even agressively. This seems to apply at every level whether a genteel CTC ride, a group of youths, or serious racer types.

For clarity I, think this is instinctive behaviour for groups of monkeys, us humans included, and cycles are incidental

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
if they are so close they cant brake safely then its their fault , your not part of the group and not subject to group riding rules so tell them to do one .

Thank you, that was my take, but it sounded like they expected me to behave as part of the group. They seemed to be riding in a very tight bunch, and I think me stopping nearly caused some of them to hit the deck. Is there a signal that I might have given to avoid the confusion?

13 rider

Guru
This is not a criticism but if I was aware of riders behind me and I was stopping I would have shouted stopping to make them aware which is group etiquette the groups mistake was blindly following another rider with no idea of their experience and presuming you would follow their group etiquette .
I have done a few clubs rides as a guest and found the groups attitude to other road users quite aggressive and entitled which is why I never joined it may have been just the group I joined

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

It may be that the group were approaching the end of their ride. You have to be extra careful when your body is drained of energy, as your mind doesn’t think straight and it can make you do and say crazy things that you wouldn’t ordinarily do.
You played it safe and they took chances. They were behind you so it’s up to them to navigate around you.
I’m terrible for making stupid road manoeuvres at the end of my rides.

albion

Guru
On a different note, Tour of Britain 2018, when I was cycling to Whinlatter , via Keswick from Grasmere along the main Grasmere road (United Utilities, I think, had already closed the back road) the lead rider of the long train fast passing shouted 'hitch on'.
I did tag on for a mile or so of the climb making good time but my advice is 'best not to'.
It took what felt like half the day to recover.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Thank you, that was my take, but it sounded like they expected me to behave as part of the group. They seemed to be riding in a very tight bunch, and I think me stopping nearly caused some of them to hit the deck. Is there a signal that I might have given to avoid the confusion?

I'd have taken the hint to join them. When about to slow, either call 'easy' or use the old 'slowing' hand signal.

PK99

Legendary Member
This morning I had a bit of an "experience" with a group of cyclists just as I was finishing my ride.

As I was reaching the entrance to the village, a group of cyclists arrived from a lane that joins the main road on the right as I was going. The main road has a short ramp before the junction, so I was arriving slowly, and for a moment I thought they were going to come out around me as I was going past, but they held back. I expected they would overtake me, but they stayed behind though the road was clear.

About 300m further ahead there's a roundabout with poor visibility on the right, so I eased off, and saw a car coming onto the roundabout on our right, so I stopped. As I said, visibility is poor, so I stopped quite late. At this point there was a lot of swearing from the group behind me, several riders went around me through the roundabout in front of the car, and there were several comments of displeasure about me having stopped. The comments were not directed at me, but meant for me to hear them.

I am not sure what I could have done differently here, as I have no experience of riding with such groups. Any advice in case I find myself in the same situation again?

Did you give a "Slowing" signal to the following riders?

Top Bottom