death wish fox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
rolling back home after the 10mile TT last night, just coasting downhill at about 25mph; when all of a sudden a fox decides to go for a kamikazee effort- diving out of the hedge straight in front of me :blush:

so i slams on the brakes i does, and just about managed to stay up right, scared the sheet out of me though ;) and the fox dropped a load of food on the ground from its mouth , don't think he was expecting me either...

anyone else had any close calls with animals??

montage

God Almighty
Yes.
I hit a pheasent on a TT and a badger when on the way home the other night.

montage

God Almighty
Luckily I was about to turn into my driveway...so I was going slowly (11/12 mph maybe?) ... badger scuttled off and seemed fine, wheel wasn't buckled. So no damage as far as I know...just hope the badger is ok

Will1985

Über Member
A rider in Norfolk hit a rather large bird last_week.
I've always thought it can be a bit dangerous in a TT with your head down at 25mph+.

I narrowly avoided a mixy rabbit about a month ago.

I had a cat do similar a few months back before the clocks changed. Not long after the crest of a steep hill I was freewheeling at about 20mph in the pitch black when it suddenly decided to jump out under my bb. I don't know how it missed my front tyre and my cranks. I heard a horrible squeal (perhaps I ran over it with the rear) but I can't recall a bump and it was too dark and steep a hill to look back.

longers

Legendary Member
You'd have felt the bump if you'd hit it Hlab.

A close call with a baby rabbit, chased a badger, dodged a grouse or two and a sheep came close to knocking me off while going full tilt at the bottom of Newlands Valley but luckily hit nowt so far.

Did get a bee in the mouth but it only stung my lip.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I had a bird fly out from a hedge into my front wheel. It hit it, bounced off and down and was dead. Silly thing.
I was riding close to the hedge to get out from the side wind and it just flew out, thought it was a leaf at first:wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
had a kamikaze squirrel dart between my wheels last summer, I was going some speed, he got a little wack from my pedal.. but how he managed to survive I don;t know

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
We once had a rat run through the group, it go so far back then jumped and hit someone on the leg. It bounced off his leg and was rolling on the floor. I didnt know what it was at first, and thought it was a water bottle so i jumped it.
Glad i did, i would of had blood on my bike if i didnt.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Many years ago I was riding my motorbike at an illegal speed very early one morning along the best bikers' road in Britain, the A686 Penrith to Alston road. About 50 yards ahead of me I spotted what looked like five yellow dashes, the first and last ones long and the three middle ones shorter, crossing the road and on a collision course for me. In a flash I realised it was a family of stoats or weasels crossing the road, Mum, three kids then Dad. There was absolutely nothing I could do so I tried to aim the bike so the wheels went through a gap between two of them. I shot over and glanced in my mirror, thought I saw the same formation of five in the mirror but stopped, though I couldn't be sure. I still worry that I might have squashed one of them in front of its family.

Top Bottom