Death Wish??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Horrific! They should replace 'cyclist' with 'small child' and see if they get the same responses.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
"Michael Stanton, who represents Repton on South Derbyshire District Council, said he had a close encounter with the cyclist when emerging from the driveway of his home in Ticknall in his pick-up truck.
He told the meeting: “I was about to pull out when I noticed this wire going past the bonnet with a pennant on it, then I saw this fellow go past lying on his back in a cylindrical type object.
“If it had been one second later I would have killed him. If he gets killed it probably serves him right, but the problem is, he may end up killing or injuring someone else.”
Bloody cyclists, serves them right eh!!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
What an utterly appalling situation. Sounds like a velomobile- quite possibly one of the riders who posts videos on YouTube etc. If this moron couldn't see him, he wasn't looking properly. No excuses for that.

Arch

Married to Night Train
"Michael Stanton, who represents Repton on South Derbyshire District Council, said he had a close encounter with the cyclist when emerging from the driveway of his home in Ticknall in his pick-up truck.
He told the meeting: “I was about to pull out when I noticed this wire going past the bonnet with a pennant on it, then I saw this fellow go past lying on his back in a cylindrical type object.
“If it had been one second later I would have killed him. If he gets killed it probably serves him right, but the problem is, he may end up killing or injuring someone else.”
Bloody cyclists, serves them right eh!!

So he was about to pull out, but apparently hadn't looked left or right and seen the velomobile approaching?

Frankly, in a lot of the huge pick up trucks I've seen, I wouldn't be sure of being visible over the bonnet on an upright.

I wonder if he'd be making the same fuss about a sports car? I've seen a Lotus locally that's barely taller than most velomobiles.

plantfit

Guru
Mr Stanton was probably reversing out of his driveway so it would be difficult to spot the rider as much as it would be difficult to spot another truck driver, doesn't the highway code say all vehicle should reverse into a driveway so that entering the highway will be forward allowing you to see up and down the road you are about to drive on?

Roger

What a n,,b he should take care before reversing out of his drive, and the bent rider is probably more visible than a DF I should imagine with a flag as well !.

"when I noticed this wire going past the bonnet with a pennant on it..."

So, he actually managed to notice a fellow road user who was even flying a small flag. Whoopeebloodywhooo! Good job he was paying attention before he drove out of his his driveway onto the public highway. What a f*****g hero!

byegad

Legendary Member
"However, the bike was entirely legal and taking action against its owner was difficult unless there was evidence he had breached traffic law."

Oh great. So now you have do actually do something illegal before you can be arrested. It's political correctness gone mad.

A welcome move by the Police. Lets hope they keep it up!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I've submitted a comment to the website to the effect that if he missed a recumbent cyclist he would also miss a four-year-old child, and perhaps he should look properly in future before reversing. I doubt it'll be published.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've submitted a comment to the website to the effect that if he missed a recumbent cyclist he would also miss a four-year-old child, and perhaps he should look properly in future before reversing. I doubt it'll be published.
The website says something about a small child , no other comments yet .. i have laid it on really thick on my comment.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The meeting heard the cyclist was routinely followed in a van by his wife, who filmed him ‘for his own protection’ because of the abuse he received from other road users."
"Councillor Stanton said the cyclist risked killing himself or others and suggested he would be ‘better off going to Dignitas’ — the Swiss clinic which carries out assisted suicide."

Top Bottom