Deer in distress...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcogs

Guru
Large scale Farmer's are usually too busy counting their next agricultural subsidy and polluting the water table with nitrites and spreading infectious diseases amongst their badly husbanded live stock to notice beasts trapped and distressed on barbed wire.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
redcogs said:
Large scale Farmer's are usually too busy counting their next agricultural subsidy and polluting the water table with nitrites and spreading infectious diseases amongst their badly husbanded live stock to notice beasts trapped and distressed on barbed wire.
Apart from that they are okay though! ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er... may I have your address for my friend Mr J Mackie who is an extemely conscientious and hard working dairy farmer in Lockerbie? I'm sure he would like to have the chance to discuss that little generalisation with you face to face.

...and the plural of farmer is farmers, not Farmer's, dimwit!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
To be practical, if you are not accustomed to handling deer, (who is?) then if you know who the landowner is, then a call to him or his gamekeeper would be in order. Otherwise, a fence is yet another risk to life and limb with which deer are faced every day. Don't beat yourself up over it, and above all don't be seduced by the over sentimental pap pedalled by the likes of the BBC. Wildlife is exactly what it is.....wild, involving all the risks and hurdles which that entails. At the absolute worst, the deer dies and the meat is wasted, but there are foxes, crows, rooks and badgers which need feeding as well.

redcogs

Guru
Most large scale f'armers are too busy trying to find their way out of their farmyards full of rusting subsidy financed combined harvesters ploughs and 'arrow's to want to spend any time communicating with members of the public unless its to set a pack of abused and demented sheepdogs on any wooly hatted ramblers who happen to stray anywhere near the edge of the public footpath.

redcogs said:
Most large scale f'armers are too busy trying to find their way out of their farmyards full of rusting subsidy financed combined harvesters ploughs and 'arrow's to want to spend any time communicating with members of the public unless its to set a pack of abused and demented sheepdogs on any wooly fleecy hatted ramblers who happen to stray anywhere near the edge of the public footpath.

Times change.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
To put it out of its misery you probably should have done the decent thing and shot it.

Do you often carry around a gun with you?
I would of personaly used my ninja skills, taken off my spare sprocket and thrown it at the deer.
The sprocket would dig into the deer and cut its throat, killing it instantly.
I could then remove my sprocket from the deer, put it back on my bike and carry on my way.

Dont you love the resourcefulness, almost like ray mears.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Do you often carry around a gun with you?

No but i would have probably would have fashioned a bow and arrow out of a nearby fallen down tree and a length of wire. Jesus, call yourself from nottingham :ohmy:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
No but i would have probably would have fashioned a bow and arrow out of a nearby fallen down tree and a length of wire.

Ahhhh, beat me ray mears style.
I think a spear might have been better though. Could use the bike wheel to charpen it maybe, or just pu a sharp point on it somehow, make it long enough and either jab it with the sharp stick, or throw the pointed bit of the stick at it hard as you can.

redcogs

Guru
Most large scale farmers would have no difficulty in killing a distressed sheep caught up in their publicly subsidised barbed wire fences. They would simply feed them with some of their usual high grade sheep food for vegetarian beasts (main ingredient, pig liver or cow intestine or some other equally appropriate fare for ensuring rapid growth) and ensure the hapless creature became victim of the usual blue tongue mad cow distemper foot and mouth type diseases spread around the national herd by the large scale farmer approach to animal husbandry..

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Reminds me of a friend of mine who came across a family, you know the ones Mum, Dad, little Boy, little Girl standing by a roadside staring at a Deer that had become stuck in a muddy ditch.

They pleaded to my friend can you do anything to help?! My friend took one look at the Deer and said "yes sure" he returned to his car got his swiss army knife from the glove compartment, jumped down in to the ditch and duly started sawing away at the Deers neck! He then threw the body in to his boot of his car and took it home and ate it!

Top Bottom