Derby Velodrome - Cycling vs the Environment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IncoherentJeff

One of the many reasons I cycle is the environmental benefits.
Usually cycling & the environment go hand in hand, however at the moment they are clashing.

Construction of Derby Velodrome is well under-way and expected to open to the public Jan 2015, personally I cant wait!
Velodrome.jpg

Located next to the Pride Park Stadium (Google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/6dg4s )

There is a proposed plan to build a 1.5km outdoor closed road circuit and mountain bike area next to it, sounds great!

Unfortunately the land they wish to build the circuit & mtb area on is a bird sanctuary (listed as 'Nature Reserve' in the top of the drawing) known as 'The Sanctuary'. This area was declared by Derby City Council as a 'local nature reserve' in 2006.

Derby City Council say the plans will only destroy 18% of the nature reserve, the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust say this will be in the region of 40-50% due to the disturbances caused from the use and maintenance of the cycle area.

Here is what the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust makes of the proposals... http://www.derbyshirewildlifetrust....-local-nature-reserve-if-council-gets-its-way (Jan 2014)

A BBC article when this first came to light (March 2012)...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-17515088

What do you think;
  • Do you think that the chosen site is acceptable?
  • Should a new site be found?
  • If possible should the closed road circuit skirt the outer perimeter of The Sanctuary (as hinted at as the original plan in the BBC article)?

A view of the Velodrome being built taken from 'The Sanctuary'
640px-Pride_Park_Velodrome_from_The_Sanctuary_Local_Nature_Reserve%2C_2013.JPG

When this sort of thing is proposed there is normally an environmental impact study done. That would tell the likely effect.
As a general point I hate this chipping away at nature reserves. Sometimes they come up with schemes to 'offset' the damage by promoting wildlife elsewhere, which IMO are often of dubious benefit.

zizou

Veteran
I dont know the area but looking at the google maps satellite view it is located right beside the football stadium in an industrial estate with railway and A roads too. If the bird sanctuary is thriving in that environment then a small closed road cycle circuit and a mountain bike loop isn't going to impact on it too much. Presumably the circuit will be going around the edge of the sanctuary and not zig zagging all over it?

alans

black belt lounge lizard
the google maps satellite view it is located right beside the football stadium in an industrial estate with railway and A roads too. If the bird sanctuary is thriving in that environment then a small closed road cycle circuit and a mountain bike loop isn't going to impact on it too much.

^^^^^^^
wotesed

If this velodrome gets built I'll be able to visit it either using my bike or almost door-to-door using the train.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
IncoherentJeff

IncoherentJeff

I don't disagree with the building of the velodrome. It will be an absolutely fantastic facility and will open to the public Jan 2015. I can't wait!

I oppose subsequent plans to build a closed road circuit & mtb area on the adjacent nature reserve which were not part of the original plans for the velodrome.

The pride park light industrial estate was built on the former Litchchurch Gasworks. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...a=X&ei=DnzOUoPsJ4zI0wWpq4CQDQ&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBQ
The area contained an industrial tipping ground created during the decommissioning & destruction of the gas works. The land was contaminated with sulphites, sulphides & heavy metals.

In an attempt to undo some of the environmental damage done the tipping site was permanently sealed & The Sanctuary nature reserve was created on top of it & the surrounding land, 10 hectares in total.

These new plans will take up 18% of the land, the 18% comes from the land around the sealed tipping ground. Local environmental groups say this will be more in the region of 40-50% habitat loss due to the disturbances caused directly adjacent to the 18% ear marked for redevelopment.

I hope they are able to find another suitable location nearby the velodrome which has not been designated as a nature reserve.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom