Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started with a Specialized Sirrus X 4.0 flat bar Hybrid bike and I have just recently purchased a Ribble Cyclocross drop bar bike. I enjoy riding both of them and I am going to use the flat bar in the Winter and the Cyclocross in the Summer.....Happy Days!

mikeIow

Guru
I started with a Specialized Sirrus X 4.0 flat bar Hybrid bike and I have just recently purchased a Ribble Cyclocross drop bar bike. I enjoy riding both of them and I am going to use the flat bar in the Winter and the Cyclocross in the Summer.....Happy Days!
Ahh, the old n+1 solution to bike ownership :laugh:
Enjoy!

Chief Broom

Veteran
Having a bad back i have no option but flat bars and an upright position :okay: but given my laid back riding style [hello birds, hello trees :laugh:] thats what i would go for anyway.:okay:
**as kids a lot of us had drop bar bikes but always had hands on the top except once in a blue moon descending a hill

simongt

Guru
the drop bars are often seen as impractical - but then when they have been cycling a bit release that if anything flat bars are more unpractical.
Handlebars are one of those many 'what floats your boat' things. Depending on your cycling styles, habits and regular distance ridden, drops, straights ( or straightish - ! ^_^ ), butterfly, apehanger, one will suit certain folk more than others. After may years of using different handlebar types, I'm settled on drops for any distance beyond a few miles and am quite happy with the 'M' bars on my 'round the city' Brommy. :okay:

Nope. Neither is inhernently superior, unless racing.

Actual racing ? - or just wanting to go a bit faster ?

One of the biggest downsides, in my experience, is the crappy performance of drop-bar brifters compared to RapidFire/EZ Fire thumb shifters. There's literally no comparison. I personally do not find the so-called multiplicity of hand positions at all beneficial. For , almost certainly, 99% of cyclists, you ain't going faster no matter what you're holding on to. So yes, unless you're competing, it's purely preference. All the rest is marginal gains which most cannot even aspire to, let alone actually achieve. But of course, each to their own. You like what you like, and in the end, that's all that matters.

One of the biggest downsides, in my experience, is the crappy performance of drop-bar brifters compared to RapidFire/EZ Fire thumb shifters. There's literally no comparison. I personally do not find the so-called multiplicity of hand positions at all beneficial. For , almost certainly, 99% of cyclists, you ain't going faster no matter what you're holding on to. So yes, unless you're competing, it's purely preference. All the rest is marginal gains which most cannot even aspire to, let alone actually achieve. But of course, each to their own. You like what you like, and in the end, that's all that matters.

What you don't think you get a performance boost going downhill on the drops ? As well as a lower centre of gravity, ergo more control ?

What you don't think you get a performance boost going downhill on the drops ? As well as a lower centre of gravity, ergo more control ?

I never pedal dowhill, but yes, there is plainly some gain in the more aerodynamic position. But for me, that's an irrelevance compared to the ease of use the flat bars give. Even then, I don't go fast enough to notice any difference in control. I'll converge on one point, though: I do not use wide MTB bars. Mine are little wider than drops.
Also, my main bike, flat bars or no, is a full-bore road bike, not a hybrid. 25mm max tyres etc, just no drops.

walt1010

I'm a step behind on the journey. I've been riding a Cannondale Trail mtb for a few months, purely on the road, and now I'm deciding whether to slowly transition ie to hybrid, or to go the whole hog and buy a drop bar cycle. The hybrid seems and easier transition, and probably more comfortable, and I may never go to road bikes. Or I might find hybrid an unnecessary interim step. Any advice would be welcome. Btw I'm 61 yo.

I'm a step behind on the journey. I've been riding a Cannondale Trail mtb for a few months, purely on the road, and now I'm deciding whether to slowly transition ie to hybrid, or to go the whole hog and buy a drop bar cycle. The hybrid seems and easier transition, and probably more comfortable, and I may never go to road bikes. Or I might find hybrid an unnecessary interim step. Any advice would be welcome. Btw I'm 61 yo.
I went from MTB to drops to flat bar, but did so by converting the drop-bar bike to flat bars. This doesn't always work, due to sizing issues, but my Scot AFD Expert served me well until a month ago, when the frame split. It had had a long and fairly tough life before I had it, so fair enough. Just need to find a similar frame again!

I think you need to try a drop bar and see if the geometry fits you and what you are flexible to. I love the advantages of drop bars but if you aren't comfortable there's no advantage and perhaps a disadvantage, depending how uncomfortable. Even then though the geometry of drop bar bikes vary massively, some are very relaxed (a tall head tube is one sign) and others are extremely aggressive.

Top Bottom