Did you know that a GP can refuse to examine or treat a victim of an assault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Did you know that a GP can refuse to examine or treat a victim of an assault? I didn't until I have my face slashed.
2942636552_e57fa4a6fa_b.jpg
My GP stated that he was under no obligation to examine or treat me as the police had there own people and a photograph from SOCO (Scene of Crimes Officer) was adequate anyway.

Slashed? Not being funny - I've seen worse scratches from a rabbit. Bad news about the GP though.

Was it a Ninja rabbit?

GP's don't have to do quite a few things and can charge for medical exams and letters etc... Basicaly if it's outside of the core health service they run. Just wait'till your GP's been replaced by a Tesco drop-in centre.

Nasty scratches them. Believe it or not Minouka honey and teetree is an excellent healing balm.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In the States, doctors routinely drive past accident scenes, for fear of litigation. It's like at the end of Top Gear's American adventure, when they gave away their vee-hickles to anyone who wanted them, and were contacted by a lawyer saying they had described one of them as a '78 Cadillac but it turned out it was actually a '77 model, so her client was planning to sue...but for $10,000 in readies she could make it go away.

Maz

Guru
What if you told the GP you were doing a DIY job at home and you cut yourself? Surely they can't refuse to see you. OK it's a bit of a fib, but...

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Seems they are a law unto themselves seeing as the police and the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence were both unaware of this policy. If it was a DIY wound I would be referred direct to Casualty as it is outside the GP's remit (I know this for a fact as it happened to me about a year ago)!!!

Maz said:
What if you told the GP you were doing a DIY job at home and you cut yourself? Surely they can't refuse to see you. OK it's a bit of a fib, but...

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I appreciate that situation. However the difference here is I, the patient, have consented to the Dr's treatment / examination and am making a request based on the requirements of the UK's legal system.

[quote name='swee'pea99']In the States, doctors routinely drive past accident scenes, for fear of litigation. It's like at the end of Top Gear's American adventure, when they gave away their vee-hickles to anyone who wanted them, and were contacted by a lawyer saying they had described one of them as a '78 Cadillac but it turned out it was actually a '77 model, so her client was planning to sue...but for $10,000 in readies she could make it go away.[/quote]

mangaman

As you say I would go to casualty if I were a victim of a slashing

They know how to deal with trauma much better than a GP

Top Bottom