Digital Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Aperitif said:
Seems a bargain price for both of these cameras!

Canon were also doing a £30 cashback offer on the SLR (now finished) which effectively means I paid £170 for the camera - Canon UK sent me a cheque last friday and registered the cam for the guarantee at the same time. I did get an extra lens off him as well for £60. He indicated that it is bankrupt stock, but the SLR is still Canons latest model.

LLB

The Ixus isn't however.

We're in the market for a compact soon. I won't be going for anything less than 5x zoom. Otherwise it will be no better than the 4 year old camera it's replacing.

The zoom factor on the lens is fairly meaningless unless you know what the lower length of the lens is. It is simply a multiplying factor of the shortest zoom length.

IE you could have a 15mm lens with a 5 times zoom giving a total lens length of 75mm which doesn't get you that close to the object TBH

derall

Guru
LLB said:
IE you could have a 15mm lens with a 5 times zoom giving a total lens length of 75mm which doesn't get you that close to the object TBH

Don't forget that focal lengths for digitals are very different to focal lengths for 35mm. My Samsung NV8 has a focal length of 7.9 to 21.9mm which is 35eq of 35 to 125mm.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
alecstilleyedye said:
make sure that zoom is optical, not digital.
[I'm not talking from a serious photographer's point of view here - I just take snaps for my website]

That used to be a very serious point when camera sensors didn't have enough pixels. In order to digitally zoom in, each pixel had to be magnified and the resulting image was horribly pixellated.

Now that I've got 12 megapixels to play with, however, I find that effectively I have to digitally zoom out most of the time. I have a 19" widescreen monitor which displays 1440 x 900 pixels, but my camera takes pictures which are 4000 x 3000 pixels so I have to zoom out by nearly a factor of 3 to get images to fit the screen. When not zooming out on this camera, the images are almost equivalent in size to those using 3 times digital zoom on my original 2 megapixel camera, only without the pixellation.

I hadn't anticipated this when I bought the camera. A 12 megapixel resolution is actually OTT, but it has turned out to be really quite handy. Instead of taking pictures using the 3 x optical zoom, I quite often take a wider angle picture and then I can choose which area of the image to 'digitally zoom into' back at home and there is still plenty of resolution to play with.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
ColinJ said:
[I'm not talking from a serious photographer's point of view here - I just take snaps for my website]

That used to be a very serious point when camera sensors didn't have enough pixels. In order to digitally zoom in, each pixel had to be magnified and the resulting image was horribly pixellated.

Now that I've got 12 megapixels to play with, however, I find that effectively I have to digitally zoom out most of the time. I have a 19" widescreen monitor which displays 1440 x 900 pixels, but my camera takes pictures which are 4000 x 3000 pixels so I have to zoom out by nearly a factor of 3 to get images to fit the screen. When not zooming out on this camera, the images are almost equivalent in size to those using 3 times digital zoom on my original 2 megapixel camera, only without the pixellation.

I hadn't anticipated this when I bought the camera. A 12 megapixel resolution is actually OTT, but it has turned out to be really quite handy. Instead of taking pictures using the 3 x optical zoom, I quite often take a wider angle picture and then I can choose which area of the image to 'digitally zoom into' back at home and there is still plenty of resolution to play with.

a fair point, although rezzing down is no problem, unlike rezzing up.

Melvil

alecstilleyedye said:
a fair point, although rezzing down is no problem, unlike rezzing up.

Yep...I am trying at the moment to blow up a 10 megapixel image to...wait for it....4 metres by 6.8!!!!!!!! I am waiting for the sample with everything crossed but I'm not especially hopeful.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Melvil said:
Yep...I am trying at the moment to blow up a 10 megapixel image to...wait for it....4 metres by 6.8!!!!!!!! I am waiting for the sample with everything crossed but I'm not especially hopeful.
Just stand 200 metres away and it will look great! ;)

Top Bottom