Disc brakes and bike cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
A great product but they do complicate bike cleaning. Today, after a filthy ride in Chilterns I removed both wheels to avoid splashes of soapy water, degreaser, lube oil etc on the rotors. What do you think is good practice?

Citius

There's no reason why cleaning a disk bike should be any more complex - or indeed any more different - than a rim-braked bike.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I always remove wheels on a full clean anyway so I would consider that good practice.
Rotors occasionally get taken off and put through the dishwasher when I'm giving the brakes a full strip down and clean as well as brake pads removed to avoid any contamination.
It's only the same as keeping wheel rims clean and oil free on a rim braked bike. Soapy water does not affect brakes ime

bikeman66

A great product but they do complicate bike cleaning. Today, after a filthy ride in Chilterns I removed both wheels to avoid splashes of soapy water, degreaser, lube oil etc on the rotors. What do you think is good practice?
I think you're worrying too much my friend! Never had any issue with contamination from washing or maintaining the bike. Only time lube overspray is likely to go on the disc is when applying to the cassette or chain. A couple of sheets of newspaper between the wheel and the chainstay will stop lube overspray from the chain and a small rag draped over the disc (covering the inner surface obviously) will stop any surplus from the cassette.

I never remove the wheels to clean the bike, but if you are that concerned, I 'd recommend purchasing a can of disc brake cleaner. Simply spray it on the rotor and give it a wipe over, then give it another spray and let it evaporate off. It's not a bad idea to clean the rotors in this way every now and then anyway to retain peak performance.

Stress less, ride more!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yep! Would agree with this, but some caliper piston seals can be affected by isopropyl alcohol, so care is required. Good tip though!

I can't lay claim for this tip, pretty sure it was @Cubist that I picked the tip up from.

I spray with Wurth motorcycle disc and brake cleaner because it's in the garage for my speed3. Works a treat on rotors and disc if your worried about contamination

Cubist

Still wavin'
Certain proprietary cleaners will contaminate your pads and rotors. As @raleighnut points out, car type shampoos with added wax could potentially cause problems. If you're worried, wash wheels off the bike and clean the rotors with IPA afterwards. It helps get rid of road grime and other contaminants anyway. If you're into detail cleaning, it takes a few seconds to whip the pads out of the calipers......

Less time and hassle than cleaning squid ink off your rims after all.

. As @raleighnut points out, car type shampoos with added wax could potentially cause problems. If you're worried, wash wheels off the bike and clean the rotors with IPA afterwards.

Waste of a good Ale that. Look odd washing rotors with a bottle of beer

Top Bottom