DIY Question: removal of rawl plugs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Having removed a shelf from the kitchen wall, I want to get the old rawl plugs out. Does anybody know if there is some kind of drill bit which can shred them from the inside or is there some other technique to use?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Put a screw back into the rawlplug and then slowly pull the plug out of the wall with some pliers or some such tool.

Maz

Guru
What I do is screw a screw partly into the rawl plug until it grips well. Then get a pair of pliers or pincers to grip the head of the screw and yank the thing out. Normally, the rawl plug comes out with it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The danger with this approach is that if you have crumbly plaster, you can end up pulling out great chunks. I generally try this first, but at the first sign of real trouble, fall back on plan b, which is using a stanley knife to 'cut the head off', as deep in the hole as I can reach, then polyfilla the hole.

U

User482

Aperitif said:
I always put the screw back in and tap gently - most times the hole is deeper than the plug. It makes for an easier job filling the hole...(take the screw out of course before filling:smile:)

Me too - tap the rawl plug so it's below the surface of the wall, then you only need a blob of polyfilla to cover it up.

Andy

Ditto to all of the above, have done it many times too. Never worried about making the hole larger if some of the plaster is crumbly, in fact see that as a chance to get the weakened area sorted properly by removing all crumbly bits and dust before repairing.
Also with respect to plasterboard walls, don't try to pull out as mentioned because either it will not come or leave huge hole, push it through the plasterboard so it drops down into the cavity.
There you go, job done. xx(

use a pair of needle nosed pliers. gently manoeuvre it to grip one edge of the rawl plug and then you can pull it out. if you push gently the edge gently into the centre, you can then grip it without causing any plaster damage.

Andy said:
Ditto to all of the above, have done it many times too. Never worried about making the hole larger if some of the plaster is crumbly, in fact see that as a chance to get the weakened area sorted properly by removing all crumbly bits and dust before repairing.
Also with respect to plasterboard walls, don't try to pull out as mentioned because either it will not come or leave huge hole, push it through the plasterboard so it drops down into the cavity.
There you go, job done. xx(

A few plaster board fixings screw in to the plaster board. You'll be able to tell when you see them. These will unscrew with a Philips screw drive; trying to pull them out or push them through will cause a big hole.

Andy

ArDee said:
A few plaster board fixings screw in to the plaster board. You'll be able to tell when you see them. These will unscrew with a Philips screw drive; trying to pull them out or push them through will cause a big hole.

Sorry, that's right ArDee, the bigger threaded ones for holding up mirrors or heavier objects should be screwed out. The smaller ones can be pushed through without causing much damage. There are also the larger metal ones (for radiators and such like) that can be difficult but can push through as well.

Top Bottom