DIY question - resealing round shower/bath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have used a gel silicone remover like this a few times...
http://www.geocel.co.uk/product.aspx?id=66&pt=diy

Carefully cut off as much excess silicone as you can using a really sharp Stanley knife of scalpel. Don't be tempted to cut too close to the bath surface though, or you may scratch it. Then paint on a generous coating of the gel and leave it for a while. Scrape off the softened silicone with a a non-metallic scraper, and repeat as necessary. Clean the surface of the bath scrupulously, as per instructions by the gel manufacturer. When you re-apply the silicone, use a low modulus sanitary silicone that resists mould growth. After applying, remember that you only have a couple of minutes to smooth it. ( Using masking tape helps to make a neat job) If you tool it after that, you will drag the surface skin and it will look like Hell. Good luck.

Milo

Guru
Stanley blade and time. Must do ours frankly looks rank and moldy. Damp finger for smoothing out the new sealant works just fine.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Old fashioned razor blade for removal .... is what I've used in the past.
I've had this job lingering far too long, thanks for the inspiration, filling the bath's a great idea!

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've no idea on tips to take off old seal, but when we had a new bathroom put in our old place, he filled the bath with water then put the silicone on, and we were told to leave the bath with water in for the following 24 hours.
Now that sounds like a good tip! I was having a bath and noticed that the sealant wasn't sealed to the bath all round - that should sort it with the new lot!

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Stanley blade and time. Must do ours frankly looks rank and moldy. Damp finger for smoothing out the new sealant works just fine.
Yeah - the tubes of sealant say not to use a damp finger (health and safety?) but I've always found it works a treat! My seals are still messy, though.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks everyone (for the sympathy as well as the tips!). I think I'll try the screwfix one first (as it's about 1/10 the price of the B&Q link thingy!

Milo

Guru
Yeah - the tubes of sealant say not to use a damp finger (health and safety?) but I've always found it works a treat! My seals are still messy, though.
Just don't stick your fingers up your bum or eat it or anything silly afterwards. Shouldn't kill you unless your doing it every week.

If the bath is enamel then it is fairly bomb proof and you can go nuclear. If it is glass fibre (basically looks and feels plastic) then go easy.
I recently has to turn round a 20 year old plastic bath so had to clean up the side that was on the wall. I just used a normal scraper and it came up great. Just a polish with some kitchen cream cleaner to bring up a good finish.

Top Bottom