Do cycle lanes have speed limits?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buddfox

Veteran
Regarding the various comments about Royal Parks and speed limits, the 20mph limit does apply (to cyclists as well) in Richmond Park (but none of the other Royal Parks) and is enforced rigorously by the Police. I believe there is a specific by-law for Richmond related to the presence of deer in the Park.

Tim Hall

Regarding the various comments about Royal Parks and speed limits, the 20mph limit does apply (to cyclists as well) in Richmond Park (but none of the other Royal Parks) and is enforced rigorously by the Police. I believe there is a specific by-law for Richmond related to the presence of deer in the Park.
Can't see that in the regulations. As User says, the 2010 amendment defines a vehicle as a "mechanically propelled vehicle"
1.—(1) These Regulations may be cited as The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces
(Amendment) etc. Regulations 2010 and shall come into force for the purposes of regulations 1 to
4 on 6th April 2010 and for all other purposes on 1st October 2010.
(2) In these Regulations–
“parking permit” means a permit issued by or on behalf of the Secretary of State for the
parking of a vehicle;
“parking place” means a place shown on a notice exhibited by or on behalf of the Secretary of
State as being appointed under these Regulations as a place where a person may park a
vehicle; and
“vehicle” means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road.

The speed limits in Royal Parks, taken again from the 2010 amendment, are:
Speeds at which a vehicle may be driven or ridden on a Park road
1. On a Park road in The Green Park, Hyde Park (other than the Serpentine Road), St
James’s Park or The Regent’s Park, at a speed not exceeding 30 mph.
2. On a Park road in Bushy Park, Greenwich Park or Richmond Park, at a speed not
exceeding 20 mph.
3. On the Serpentine Road in Hyde Park, and on the Park road from Kingston Gate
leading to the Home Park Golf Club in Hampton Court Park, at a speed not exceeding 15
mph.
4. On a Park road (other than one mentioned in paragraphs 1, 2 or 3), at a speed not
exceeding 10 mph.”.

A pedant might argue that a vehicle propelled by applying force to cranks is mechanically propelled, although the "mechanically propelled" definition is used in the Road Traffic Act 1988 to state what a motor vehicle is.

Recycler

You learn something new every day then - I had no idea. What's the criteria for being caught?

I don't lnow but, according to the CPS site one of the factors is that somebody has been injured. I susopect that, if a cyclist rides into somebody and injures them then this is what they could charge you with.

I imagine that they would also use this for a really serious offence like riding into a Police car when it is out on a doughnut run.

The CycleCraft figure of 18 mph comes from a proposed "Code of Conduct for cyclists" published for consultation by the DfT in 2004 (Local Transport Notes). This stated that:

"As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road."

Otherwise there are other "Codes"

Sustrans design was originally that the NCN should be usable by a reasonably competent 11 year old and that 12 mph was a suggested speed.

In Bournemouth the Police have speed cameras on the esplanade and have actively enforced a speed limit of 10 mph which is presumably from a Traffic Regulation Order.

Top Bottom