Do I Legally have to ride on a cycle path?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
Does that mean its not compulsory to obey the traffic signals on cycle lane as well
The contra flow cycle lane at the Tower end of the Minories has a traffic light on it.
I cross this junction twice a day and I reckon less than 10% stop on red

Tim Hall

Chances are there will be a speed limit byelaw on the path of 10 or 12mph.

Not only is it not compulsory to use the path if you are a speedy commuter it would be illegal for you to use it.
Never seen that before. Guidance saying they're designed for a certain speed, but byelaws, no. Got any more info?

(Thinks: OK, the perimeter shared use path in Richmond Park has a limit, but that's the only example I can think of)

Berties

Fast and careful!
I have a lane on a three mile stretch of flat road the problem is ,it is well used with road junctions crossing it in five places,I choose the road as I cruise it at 22-25mph so my instant excuse is I am going to fast ,the road itself has a limit of forty ,and if I am pointed to the lane by drivers,I explain "if I want their advice I will be sure to ask for it"

Ern1e

Über Member
The last time that happend to me she was a very nice lady driver (tongue well in cheek) and we where traveling quite slowly so as I carried on along side her very nice Fiesta I looked at her and very politly said why thankyou for letting me know that I should legaly be using the cycle lane but would you please stop and tell those kind drivers not to park thier falmeing cars in it then I would be able to use this !! the window went up at lighting speed and me well I just pottered of laughing quite loudly.

Never seen that before. Guidance saying they're designed for a certain speed, but byelaws, no. Got any more info?

(Thinks: OK, the perimeter shared use path in Richmond Park has a limit, but that's the only example I can think of)

Agreed. Generally it will only be a small number of very specific areas which have actual speed restrictions for cyclists, such as Richmond Park and several seaside promenades like Bournemouth.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I'm sure I've seen a sign or two, could have been on seaside proms as mentioned by Flying Dodo (above).

Webwise, the best link I can find is this from Sustrans.

It talks of giving way to pedestrians and of using roads if you are out for speed.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/change-your-travel/get-cycling/cycling-code-conduct-shared-use-paths

Top Bottom