Roundabout near my home on ITV news...Driver who hit two cyclists on a roundabout in Berkshire jailed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Article from last week.

Driver who hit two cyclists on a roundabout in Berkshire jailed​

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2024-03-21/driver-who-hit-two-cyclists-on-a-roundabout-jailed

I've had countless close calls on this roundabout with cars simply not stopping, or braking late.
The right lane gets used to jump a car or two to make up half a nano-second.
I always try to make eye contact - if I dont then I start to take evasive action.

1711359765812.png

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Add in the morons who habitually speed up to the give-way line and try to kid you that they are not going to give way to you, stopping at the last moment a metre over the line!

Sounds like you are doing the right thing paying close attention to people approaching the roundabout.

Slick

Guru
Article from last week.

Driver who hit two cyclists on a roundabout in Berkshire jailed​

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2024-03-21/driver-who-hit-two-cyclists-on-a-roundabout-jailed

I've had countless close calls on this roundabout with cars simply not stopping, or braking late.
The right lane gets used to jump a car or two to make up half a nano-second.
I always try to make eye contact - if I dont then I start to take evasive action.

View attachment 725423

Life changing injuries.

Unbelievable.

Hopefully they get very well compensated, although I'm sure they would gladly swap it to not have to share the road with such a zarking idiot.

Sorry, did I say that out loud?

Bristolian

Ooh, a two year driving ban.

He should never be allowed behind the wheel again.

They were there and could be clearly seen - if he had looked
it could even have been a car - he still would not have seen it

The long grass did hide them to a small extent but not enough to make a difference
I only mention that last bit because I saw an article some years ago saying that some road designers have started planting bushed - or erecting road signs - to make the view of traffic on the roundabout less visible
Which sounds daft - but if you can;t see what is coming then you should slow down a lot so you can check when you get closer
This leads to people joining the roundabout at slower speed - and so any incident is at slower speeds and hence less serious and give the non-offending car more chance of avoiding the other vehicle

Of course - this is the opposite as the idiot didn;t slow down - or possibly even look properly and hence joined at a high speed in spite of not knowing what was there!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
And hanged by his own dash-cam, by the look of it.
Probably what led to him pleading guilty, thus saving his ego from the need to have driven home further what a worthless waste of skin he is..
FTFY!

The long grass did hide them to a small extent but not enough to make a difference
I only mention that last bit because I saw an article some years ago saying that some road designers have started planting bushed - or erecting road signs - to make the view of traffic on the roundabout less visible
Which sounds daft - but if you can;t see what is coming then you should slow down a lot so you can check when you get closer
This leads to people joining the roundabout at slower speed - and so any incident is at slower speeds and hence less serious and give the non-offending car more chance of avoiding the other vehicle
I've noticed this too; seems absurd to me that big signs with chevrons reminding the hard-of-thinking to go the right way around the roundabout should take precident over being able to actually see what you're supposed to be giving way to.

I don't really buy into the "making people slow down" argument - roads are congested enough as it is, while repeated acceleration and deceleration increases fuel consumption as well as gaseous and particulate pollution. With safety the key concern, the next priority should be to keep traffic flowing as quickly and smoothly as possible..

I don't really buy into the "making people slow down" argument - roads are congested enough as it is, while repeated acceleration and deceleration increases fuel consumption as well as gaseous and particulate pollution. With safety the key concern, the next priority should be to keep traffic flowing as quickly and smoothly as possible..
I don't agree with this.
The 'keep traffic moving as quickly as possible' mentality .. which is how most of our infrastructure is designed under the doctrine of modern ubarnism, is what leads to the situation of drivers not wanting to slow down when they really should, and much of the extreme frustration/anger that some road users exhibit when they have to slow down.

Also, slower moving traffic == higher road capacity.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I don't agree with this.
The 'keep traffic moving as quickly as possible' mentality .. which is how most of our infrastructure is designed under the doctrine of modern ubarnism, is what leads to the situation of drivers not wanting to slow down when they really should, and much of the extreme frustration/anger that some road users exhibit when they have to slow down.

Also, slower moving traffic == higher road capacity.

To qualify, by "moving as quickly as possible" I meant that the mean speed should be high, and the peak speed low. I.e. better to have a clear road upon which traffic consistently does 20mph rather than one where it varies between zero and thirty, for example.

I'd argue that the "doctrine of modern urbanism" usually takes quite the opposite approach to what you suggest (possibly as an ill-advised reaction to the approach you describe being implemented in the past) by seeking to impede traffic flow as much as possible; with bollard, pinch-points, chicanes etc..

I'd also counter your last point with my own perspective as a driver, in that I can be trusted to drive at a sensible speed through residential areas, however being forced to stop for no reason other than some ill-conceived traffic calming crap really boils my p*ss.

On top of the pollution argument there's also that of necessary observation and road safety; especially relatively to cyclists if cars are constantly being forced to start and stop, or otherwise significantly modulate their speed.

As a driver, rider or resident I'd much rather use / be close to roads that have traffic flowing at a steady, constant speed than one where it's constantly stop-start.

Top Bottom