Driver Jailed for 4.5 years for killing cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This link needs subscription.

Slick

Guru
Well, as long as he feels terrible.

As a past Lgv license holder, I do have some sympathies with drivers as I understand the size and the blind spots on these things, but just how wrong did this guy get it before he dragged her under his wheels.

A real tragedy for the cyclist and her family.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I get he maybe needed to be in the "wrong lane" but that imposed a greater need to take even more care to check and to let other road users know what he was planning to do, by indicating his intentions. Utter tragedy.

icowden

Veteran
Should have been 10 times more jail time.
How would that help? What would it achieve? Are you happy to pay the additional £2 million pounds required to house this prisoner?
Where will you house the rapist that doesn't have a cell because the prisons are full to capacity? Are you happy to invest in more prisons?
Each one is going to cost you around £200 million to build plus ongoing staffing and maintenance.

You are going to need a lot more money to house all the careless but non-violent, unlikely to reoffend prisoners that you want to incarcerate. Will you be cutting funds from Education, The NHS, the Treasury, Social Services or just increasing taxes?

OP
OP
A

Alex321

Veteran
Should have been 10 times more jail time.

Why?

That is vengeance, not justice.

And this one was on the borderline between causing death by careless driving and causing death by dangerous driving. The maximum sentence for causing death by careless driving (hardly ever applied) is 5 years.

And looking at the sentencing guidelines here https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/crown-court/item/causing-death-by-dangerous-driving/

It would almost certainly fall under category C, may JUST be in category B but I doubt it. For category C, the maximum guide is 5 years, so it was close to that.

Top Bottom