Do I need to regain weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MGman

I'm well into my second year of returning to cycling. I'm 80 reasonably healthy and do "hard" cycling about 10 to 15 miles - two to four times a week. I currently weigh 61kg and am172 cm height.

Since cycling, over the last 2 years I've lost about 6/8 kg and am told I now look "scrawny" and need to put on a bit of weight. I think they're right. My diet is also healthy - eating little red meat but have plenty of fish, fowl and pulses etc.

Should I look at gaining weight (I'd like to) but how? Not keen to gain weight by eating more red meat (protein) but also wary of the " protein gain" & muscle building products (concerned about their additives and other "nasties"

I'm not a fastidious old git, but just want to put on a bit of weight to "bulk me out" a bit

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You tend to lose weight in your 'advancing years' from muscle loss anyway, so I think you may find it difficult ! You are obviously doing something right to be cycling at 80.

presta

Guru
I don't see a problem with a BMI of 20.6, it's not under weight, but if you want to put on weight just eat more of what you're already eating.

(My BMI now is 20.4, but I have a bit of a belly and not enough muscle, eleven years ago I had much more muscle, no belly, and a BMI of 18.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Weight sounds a little on the low side of right, but nowt to worry about, perhaps increase the size of your meals a little bit and see if you're weight comes up a bit.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s a healthy weight, your friends likely look plump

CXRAndy

Guru
Hip waist ratio is far more reliable indicator of correct weight for men or women

What is a good hip to waist ratio?

d9GcQa_Lre_ixQ2ds50zpWoZGMsBISZBGF8hPg2e7qfyXF6g&s.jpg
The WHO advise that a healthy WHR is: 0.85 or less for women. 0.9 or less for men.

Top Bottom