Do I really need to carry a chain link tool ?

Should one carry a chain link tool ?

• Yes

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I haven't used mine yet, but I know sooner or later I will get unlucky. I've got a 10 mile commute. That's a long walk home.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Carry it! Stuff happens and it is one of the few tools that you will not be able to borrow from a non-cyclist if the worst should happen.

I have used mine 'in the field' a number of times, although rarely for my own bike, but it can/does happen and the repair is preferable to the alternative.

Same here - I've used mine on other folks bikes. My chain tool is part of the Crank Bros multi tool I have. I also have a spare 'tiny' chain tool for my other backpac. I've never snapped a chain out and about that has stopped me, but last year my 10 speed MTB chain split, but I only discovered it as I was cleaning the bike when I got home.

Alan O

Über Member
I think the point of a quick link is just to install the chain. Chains come with one (except for shimano IIRC who have some fancy once use rivet)

But every new chain I've ever had has needed shortening first, and that's required a chain tool anyway, so it doesn't save a lot just on initial fitting.

Genuine question: why would you ever need to re-use a quick link? To swap a chain, use the new quick link with the new chain.

I use quick links to take chains off for a thorough clean every now and then - probably only 2 or 3 times during the life of a chain, but everything that makes that easier helps. I also recently used a quick link to remove a chain so I could replace a derailleur (having found a better vintage model).

I've never had a quick link fail yet (fate again, I know), even after reuse several times.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
But every new chain I've ever had has needed shortening first, and that's required a chain tool anyway, so it doesn't save a lot just on initial fitting.

But at least 10s and 11s chains can't be rejoined with a chain tool AFAIK, so you need the quick link just to fit the chain.

I use quick links to take chains off for a thorough clean every now and then - probably only 2 or 3 times during the life of a chain, but everything that makes that easier helps. I also recently used a quick link to remove a chain so I could replace a derailleur (having found a better vintage model).

OK, I can see that. A typical 10/11s chain lasts perhaps 2000 miles; personally I wouldn't be going to the faff of taking a chain off for cleaning between chain changes, but I guess some (many?) people might be closer to Godliness than I am.

Just like any insurance, you don't need one until you need one. I've got a Crank Bros multi-tool with one included. Small enough and fits perfectly in the little external pocket of my Lenzyne seat pack. I've used it twice out on the road. The first time about 4 miles from home so a long enough walk if I hadn't been able to fix it.
The second time after just reaching the top of a Cat 4 climb in France (luckily it never broke whilst I was still applying a lot of pedal pressure). If I hadn't been able to fix it I would have had a few problems. It was fairly remote, a fair way from the house, hardly any traffic passing and a dodgy mobile phone signal.
Apart from all of that, it's my only chain tool which I use for shortening new chains.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
...Genuine question: why would you ever need to re-use a quick link? To swap a chain, use the new quick link with the new chain.

I take the chain off on a regular basis. Cleaning and servicing. Having the chain in the way is just a PITA.

I also get best results from cleaning my chains while they are off and in a little tub of cleaner. I’ve made a DIY one where the gunk drops through a sieve and is kept away from the chain.

I wouldn't be without a QuickLink.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Of course they can, rejoined a 10 speed many a time.

My understanding is that this is explicitly against Shimano advice. I can't find that with a quick google, but there seems to be plenty of anecdote both from people who have your experience but equally for people who have tried it and found the chain fails.

For sure I'd go for it if stranded without a quick link but there's no way I'd do it with a brand new chain.

I`m bloody useless at anything mechanical on my bike but I do have one of these - I`ve googled many times how to use it and am still baffled lol. I also carry one of those little spare links - if my chain breaks, why can`t I use that to cobble together the chain to get me home?

Top Bottom