Do they teach American language in Primary schools nowadays?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Spoken languages existed quite happily before scholars invented concepts like spelling and modal verbs.
Well, sorta kinda.

Scholars didn't so much invent the concept as describe what was happening. True enough, the term 'modal verb' may not have existed but that word that was the modal verb did. Grammar is rule driven, it's true, but scholars only identified the rules rather than invented them.

Where people can get a bit bent out of shape is in thinking that those rules are set in stone, cannot be messed with, when they're only really convention. We've kind of agreed them amongst ourselves, in an unstated fashion, to facilitate understanding. They've never been rules as such. We tend to know what they are (and hear the 'clang' when they subverted) without being formally taught them. Languages are continually changing, those conventions change (and are different in different languages/dialects/accents anyway) and so, imho, attempting to anchor down those conventions (and call them prescriptive grammar rules) is a gesture in futility.

That all said, it is (imho again) a wise person that realises the effect of that language clang I mentioned. There are times when it is perhaps in your own best interest to become multilingual and adopt the appropriate form. We do it naturally anyway (in courts of law, with the inlaws, whatever) so it's only an extension of that. Linguists call it accomodation. It may not be 'right' to have to tone down your much loved accent, with all it's idiosyncratic grammar features etc, for a job interview or whatever - but that's up to you to weigh up at the time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I always find it amazing, when trying to get my head round a difficult aspect of a foreign language, that native speakers do this without thinking, and not because a grammar text book tells them to.

Julia9054

Guru
"You lot"? "Everyone"? "Folks"?

I like "guys"

I don't dislike it and can't seem to find an alternative that doesn't sound a bit odd.
Context for me would be getting the attention for a group of teenagers to listen to my next instruction
Would you use it if everyone in the group were female?

yello

Would you use it if everyone in the group were female?

I'd probably say something like 'hey people'. I'd not say ladies, girls, lasses (eek!) or any single sex term, not because it'd be wrong per se but I think you have to be extra aware in that (teacher's?) context and avoid anything that might be cause for comment.

I do think you have to use a term that you are comfortable with though. A 'clunky' expression could backfire!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Context for me would be getting the attention for a group of teenagers to listen to my next instruction
"Hiya everybody" seems to be the current mode of group address on social media.
Mind, a few years ago, after I complained that my young team could not follow verbal instructions, I was told that they are used to instant messaging.
A floor manager started to What'sApp event instructions and team briefs, it worked like a charm!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
"You lot"? "Everyone"? "Folks"?

I like "guys"
+1 for "folks" - unisex and difficult to take offence to. :smile:

Top Bottom