do we have any tilers or plumbers here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Hi, had our bathroom re done a year ago. in the shower cubicle the grout has gone miscoloured at the bottom course on one side and they look as if they are ever so slightly moving away from the wall. If i press on the there is a very small bit of play in the bottom course. The wife says it smells slightly. WE used big tiles so about 3 or 4 tiles cover that side and they are fitted on waterproof ply

My diagnosis is that the grout is cracked and water has got in behind the bottom course. Does that sound right?

What is the cure?

re grout that section?

remove tiles from that section, let it dry and refit and regrout?

remove tiles from that whole wall - refit ply and re tile?

remove whole cubicle and re ply and re tile?

And what should i pay if i get a professional in?

andy

LLB

If the tiles are stuck firm, then I'd leave it to dry out, maybe hire a dehumidifier for a few days.

You should use white sanitary grade silicone sealant in all the corners of the bathroom to seal them - esp around the shower area. It makes the job look professional and stops the problems you have from happening.

If you get a roll of masking tape and run it along the edges on either side of the joint leaving a gap of about 8mm, then pump silicone through the gap into the joint. Then (this is the messy bit), run a wet finger along the joint in a continuous motion to smooth out the silicone. Peel the masking tape away and discard it carefully as the silicone sticks to everything.

Jobs a goodun :wacko:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mould-Resista...hash=item370016037353&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Oh, one last thing. If you do start to get mould appear on the silicone joint, get some bleach Domestos/Tescos own etc, and soak the offending area for a couple of days with it. This will get rid of the mould completely and return it to its original colour

Mr Pig

If you've had water getting behind your seals in a shower for any length of time I would remove the shower and check for water damage/rot.

I know a lot of people who have suffered very extensive damage, stretching far beyond the bathroom, because of leaking showers. They are by far the most critical installation in the bathroom and in my experience most people do not do it right. The standard method of sealing showers simply isn't good enough and if the unit has been in for a few years and you do not know the sealing methods employed I would not take chances with it.

Find out as much as you can about it and get back to me.

I on the other hand am an actual qualified plumber.

If there is any movement at all in the tiles then they're not attached to the wall.

Installed a year ago? You have rights you know.

graham56

Guru
If you got mould behind the tiles you`ll have to clear it, sounds like you will have to remove the tiles and inspect the area for signs of water ingress.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

thanks, you're right mickle, unfortunately i suspect that would be the right to have the same idiots who cocked it up (and every other job they did in the house) back again, no thanks i could do better myself.

ta andy

It's common for plumbers to take shortcuts. I reckon that in my short plumbing career about 90% of the plumbing I worked on had been wrongly installed or simply bodged by the original plumber. Uphill waste pipes being a personal fave.

If it were my bathroom I'd ask for quotes for the remedial work from a couple of local plumbers (to include an assessment of the problem and it's causes). Contact the local branch of the Institute of Plumbers explaining the situation.
Contact Citizens advice.
Contact local Trading standards.
Contact your local Building Standards Officer. BSOs are evil bastards, the mere mention of whom will send a shiver up their spine.

Since you have no desire to have these cowboys carry out any more work in your house it's only fair that you have another company complete the work and then send them an invoice.

Make it obvious to them that you aren't pissing about and that their least worst option is to pay to have the problem fixed.

redcogs

Guru
mickle said:
I have a tiny willy but I know how to wave it :angry:

i'm a firm supporter of the 'size doesn't matter' principle as well mickle. Which has been pretty convenient across the years. ;)

You should see the extractor fan in our shower cubicle.

:biggrin:

Top Bottom