Do you let air out of tires?

Do you let air out of tires?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Most nights I let the tyres down, remove the wheels, brake pads and gear levers.

At the weekend I always remove the chain and delink them all, remove all cables, remove cassette, chainring and bearings. Then usually fortnightly I take the spokes apart and break the welding of the frame.

I find this routine helps preserve my bike. However I do spend on average 12 hours a day on this.

Not only are some way smarter than me on this forum, there are some more anal and sarcastic too. ;)

400bhp

Guru
I let the air out of my tubes, occasionally whilst exiting a lift to leave those left in the lift guessing.

Siclo

Veteran
Yup, this happens. Your observation is correct. The tyre lifts, the tube herniates and explodes and more often than not, escapes back into the tyre before the tyre has time to settle again. It happens with soft folding beads more than steel beads.
One thing is certain, if you were in the car when that happened you would have been relaying your experience from the psychiatric ward.

I'll vouch for that, bike left in the car in direct sun in the works car park all day, car heater was stuck on max, tyre let go at 70mph in the middle lane of the M56. Cue gibbering and shaking on the hard shoulder.

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
PV=nRT is a bit too long ago for me. Is T absolute temperature (minus 273C) ?

My concern is more about the added stress on the tire over time. For ease and lack of storage I keep my tires in the car trunk with the bike. It can get hot and cold in there.

Does keeping them inflated weaken the tire tube and tire and shorten it's life span?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
PV=nRT is a bit too long ago for me. Is T absolute temperature (minus 273C) ?

yes, that's right. Was quite a long time ago for me and all.

That said, as pointed out by others, I'd not taken account any heat related softening of the tyre itself - which may ir may not be perinent - and anecdotaly at least, does seem to matter

GuyBoden

Guru
The constituents of dry air can be expressed as volume percentages, which will translate to the partial pressures out of the total atmospheric pressure and since a mole of any ideal gas occupies the same volume, it follows that the volume percentage is also the percentage by number. The average molecular mass can then be found by weighting the masses by their volume percentages....................................

12321-200.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom