Do your toes touch the ground?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danjanoob

Should your toes be able to reach the floor when on the saddle?

I ask as I don't feel my legs are extending enough on their stroke so my legs feel cramped sometimes, but if i raise my seat anymore i will not be able to reach the ground from the saddle, which worries me.

This probably seems like a really stupid question, but i'm wondering if anybody rides with the ground out of reach, without coming off the saddle.

gavintc

Guru
The distance between the ground and your seat height is irrelevant. The only distance that counts is the saddle to pedal distance. When you come to a stop, you slide forward off your seat.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My toes can only reach the floor when I lean the bike over a little. And think that's the same for a lot of people.

You really need to set your saddle height properly.
There are many ways to do this. But one of the most popular is to, when seated on the bike, put your heel on the pedal. Your leg should be straight. So when you put your toes on the pedal you will have a small bend in the knee.

Here's a link to that, and other methods of how to set your saddle height.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No no no. I doubt whether any cyclist who is riding a correctly set-up bike can touch the ground. I can just about contact the ground with my tippy-tiptoes if I stretch and one toe if I slip partially off the saddle sideways.

Correct seat height is far more important than being able to touch the ground.

Kookas

Über Member
I can't reach the ground either, but I don't come off the saddle, I just lean. I always found coming off the saddle a bit odd, since I didn't grow up with a good bike fit and always just leant to one side.

(I never ride out of the saddle on it either. I am permanently ensaddled.)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Personally I prefer my saddle a bit on the low side... but it is an MTB so altogether more casual. There's nowt more annoying than a 'correctly set up saddle' repeatedly whacking one in the derrière when hurtling down a bridleway. So in answer to your question, yes, my toes do touch the ground when in the saddle, and i like it that way.

OP
OP
danjanoob

danjanoob

Thanks everybody. Quite comforting really as i thought you were supposed to be able to reach the floor when stopped on the saddle. I'll raise the saddle for tomorrows ride and hopefully give my legs a good stretch.

BTW this is riding a road bike. I can understand having a lower saddle on a mtb.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
The last time my toes reached the floor was when I took the Cycling Proficiency Test in 1969 :bicycle:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks everybody. Quite comforting really as i thought you were supposed to be able to reach the floor when stopped on the saddle. I'll raise the saddle for tomorrows ride and hopefully give my legs a good stretch.

BTW this is riding a road bike. I can understand having a lower saddle on a mtb.

Your thighs are going to love the new position.Im guessing with the saddle that low you were getting some serious burn on the top of your thighs?

Continuing to ride with the saddle too low would have probably caused you knee problems as well.

I think the 2 feet on the ground thing only applies to small children.

OP
OP
danjanoob

danjanoob

Your thighs are going to love the new position.Im guessing with the saddle that low you were getting some serious burn on the top of your thighs?

Continuing to ride with the saddle too low would have probably caused you knee problems as well.

I think the 2 feet on the ground thing only applies to small children.

Spot on. My thighs were very unhappy. Not really in any pain after my hour commute, but definitely aching in the wrong way. Made it very difficult after an intense period without stopping, to move off from traffic lights.

Top Bottom