Don't lose it at the airport!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As another example of how this should work, some while ago I managed to leave my purse on a train. Customer services at the station located me (via a store card) and contacted me before I'd even noticed the loss, and handed it back the same evenng as I got onto the train.

I can't find a link for it, as it was too long ago - but the first time @srw and I visited Orkney there was an article in the local paper about someone who dropped his wallet on the tarmac in North Ronaldsay, and had it handed back to him as he got of his plain in Inverness - the staff having found it, checked all the various flights (OK, this is Orkney, so not a huge job) and managed to get the wallet to the right place to meet the guy.
On the other hand when I left an e-reader on a plane to - or from - Kirkwall - I forget which - it was never seen again. Despite telling the ground handlers immediately I got off the plane, and even quoting the specific seat I'd been sitting in.

There's a difference between the customer service mentality of a decent company (Chiltern Railways and Loganair respectively) and a bunch of sharks (Rynair and Stansted).

screenman

Legendary Member
They're a company, not a charity, but you could get sunglasses shipped from China for less than a fiver, so I don't see how they justify the cost. Usury, cos they have you by the balls.

Now if only Royal Mail charged what they pay in China to send things over here.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Plus, as I understood it, the firm charging you for the list property was not the airline. So even if you'd paid full fare for a business class ticket from a full-service airline (were such a thing available from Stansted...) you would still be facing the same bill for the lost property.

Correct.

As for whether £35 is reasonable - I don't think it's gouging. Take off the fiver or so actual cost of P&P and £8 or so in VAT and that £22 has got to pay for the cost of handling, tracking and storing the lost item. It also has to pay for the cost of handling and legally disposing of all the items which aren't claimed. My best guess would be that each lost item takes an hour or so to handle. Even at minimum wage, allowing for on-costs that's a good £12 to £15.

If you don't want to pay don't choose a so-called "cheap flight".

Would make no difference - see 'correct', above.

So this is a company operating a lost property service in the Airport?

Do you think that they will get this contract from the people that operate the airport for nothing? The airport will charge them and they have to pass this on to people who lose stuff

If the airport management company wanted to absorb all the cost and provide a free or cheap service they could. Your beef is with them really

Oh, I have a very serious beef with them, and I will be pursuing it.

Bottom line is, do you see your customers' misfortune/carelessness/forgetfulness and your consequent possession of their property as an opportunity to 'do the decent thing', and return it at cost, or do you see it as an opportunity to make money?

I have - as I said earlier - no problem with compensating them for any costs. Why should they be out of pocket because of my cock-up? What I object to is having companies view 'lost property' as a profit opportunity. I don't think they should do that. It's legal, but I for one don't think it's even close to being ethical. I have no doubt whatsoever that they have indeed sold the concession to some sleasy third party called Luggage Point, part of Weigh-In Ltd, calculatedly so that they can each share some of the potential profit opportunity represented by people wanting their own property back, who have no option but to pay whatever's demanded of them.

Weigh-In are just a Mr & Mrs slimeball outfit - so be it. Life is full of them. But for one of London's major airports to be operating in such a - to me at least - palpably unethical way seems to me disgraceful.

swansonj

Guru
I think @srw's point is that Stansted is inherently a low-cost airport, and that by choosing to fly from Stansted, one is choosing a business model where customer service is paid for item by item rather than included in the fare, and one should accept the consequences of one's choice. Which is a fair comment up to a point, but only IMHO up to a point. Firstly, there are all sorts of reasons why one might choose to fly Ryanair from Stansted rather than business class on Emirates from Heathwick (including, arguably though possibly marginally, less environmental damage stemming from the greater seating density), and not all of those reasons involve a positive embrace of the low-initial-cost, charge-for-the-extras business model. And secondly, I don't feel entirely confortable with saying about anything that is partly done to save money, and therefore is statistically going to correlate with use by less advantaged parts of society, that it's just tough and they have to accept the consequences of their cost-constrained choices - that way does not a fairer society lie.

Ryanair and Stansted are entitled to operate their chosen business model; I am entitled to choose whether or not to avail myself of the service they offer (as I have done); but I (or in this instance @swee'pea99 ) am surely also entitled to call out the morally unattractive aspects of it and to suggest there may be alternative approaches that would pay them better in the long run.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I accidentally dropped my phone getting off a train and didn't realise until I was half a mile from the station and the train was long gone.
Cue major panic.

However, I rang the phone and after what seemed like an age a woman answered and once I'd explained offered to hand the phone to the guard.
The guard advised that the lost property office was in York (20-odd miles from home) which was going to be a pain, but at least I'd get the phone back. He then asked if I could get back to the station I'd used earlier. I said that would be no problem and he happily advised me that he'd leave the phone with the ticket office staff when he passed back through on the return journey later that morning.

At lunchtime I walked down to the station and got my phone back no problem. A simple use of common sense but great customer service. :okay:

In my experience train guards and ticket office staff have almost always been the most helpful staff. Things like this, and also helping you find the cheapest fairs (local to me they often suggest an alternative ticket that saves a bit of cash), and whatnot.

Correct.

Oh, I have a very serious beef with them, and I will be pursuing it.

Bottom line is, do you see your customers' misfortune/carelessness/forgetfulness and your consequent possession of their property as an opportunity to 'do the decent thing', and return it at cost, or do you see it as an opportunity to make money?

I have - as I said earlier - no problem with compensating them for any costs. Why should they be out of pocket because of my cock-up? What I object to is having companies view 'lost property' as a profit opportunity. I don't think they should do that. It's legal, but I for one don't think it's even close to being ethical. I have no doubt whatsoever that they have indeed sold the concession to some sleasy third party called Luggage Point, part of Weigh-In Ltd, calculatedly so that they can each share some of the potential profit opportunity represented by people wanting their own property back, who have no option but to pay whatever's demanded of them.

Weigh-In are just a Mr & Mrs slimeball outfit - so be it. Life is full of them. But for one of London's major airports to be operating in such a - to me at least - palpably unethical way seems to me disgraceful.
How are you calculating cost? The true cost would be space allocated to storing it, time spent arranging to send it out based on staff salary, packaging and postage. I would imagine space in an airport is quite expensive and so will staff costs be.

There's a difference between the customer service mentality of a decent company (Chiltern Railways and Loganair respectively) and a bunch of sharks (Rynair and Stansted).

I think sharks is a bit harsh to be honest. People demand cheap tickets, and cheap flights. But then aren't willing to sacrifice quality. They have to sacrifice stuff to deliver their product at the price they do.

If you fly with an AAA airline and get your lost glasses back for free. It's not really "free" that kind of service will be built in to everybody's ticket price. In around about way, I suppose Ryanair is good value. With a top airline your paying for services you may not use. Instead with budget ones these costs are passed on only to the people who use it.

Of course, every company or service has it's stand out staff who go beyond, such as the stories in this thread, but it isn't the norm.

I don't feel entirely confortable with saying about anything that is partly done to save money, and therefore is statistically going to correlate with use by less advantaged parts of society, that it's just tough and they have to accept the consequences of their cost-constrained choices - that way does not a fairer society lie.

But if we want those extra services available to people as customers the costs need to be covered. The more expensive airlines build it into their ticket price. There wouldn't be a cheap option.

Instead the budget airlines do allow less advantaged parts of society to gain the benefits of air travel, by not forcing them to pay for services they do not wish to use.

If of course you want to take extra bags, and intend to use the lost baggage, want food etc, your cheap flight will likely start to approach the coast of an AAA airline, as the services you're demanding approaches what they deliver too.

D

Deleted member 26715

On the other hand when I left an e-reader on a plane to - or from - Kirkwall - I forget which - it was never seen again. Despite telling the ground handlers immediately I got off the plane, and even quoting the specific seat I'd been sitting in.
I once left a tablet in the seat pouch in front of me on a flight back from the US into Manchester on Virgin, realised when I got in the car, rang them, put through to lost luggage, it had been found & handed in, as I was flying back out 7-10 days later I left it there & arranged collection on my way out. I think there was a £5-8 fee which I had no issues with, they did offer to post it to me for £10

D

Deleted member 26715

Why should people invest hundreds of thousands of their own money. And make no profit from it? After all, risk and reward.
You believe it costs hundreds of thousands of presumably GBP & not JPY to set up a lost property office?

Top Bottom