Doored by Police Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No clear info = no clear conclusion possible.
Statement 'cyclist was in collision with door' is 100% correct, he didn't hit anything else. It is a statement of fact - the two objects collided nothing more to gained by this. Nether which was moving or which [or who] was at fault. Another waste of time until [or more likely if] proper details become available. Guessing is simply an attempt at 'trial by media'. We know nothing - for all the report states the cyclist may have been a drug runner trying to avoid the car and capture.
The initial story claimed the cyclist crashed into stationary police car. Then followed large number of comments about stupid cyclists, he should be charged with being drunk. sued for criminal damage. Was it crappy reporting or was it a half-truth by the police?

The car wasn't stationary, the door was moving....into the path of the cyclist.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I think the police will conclude that the cyclist opened the door himself, shortly before riding into it and also falling down the stairs.

Andy Roadie

I'm interested in the statement "The law is clear - the liability is always with the person opening the door and the driver of the vehicle."
If I am the driver and the passenger opens a door (I cannot prevent this) and causes harm. In what way am I negligent?

I'm interested in the statement "The law is clear - the liability is always with the person opening the door and the driver of the vehicle."
If I am the driver and the passenger opens a door (I cannot prevent this) and causes harm. In what way am I negligent?
I think your insurance would pay out.

midlife

Guru

Vicarious liability as the driver in charge of the vehicle.

Shaun

jarlrmai

Veteran
The same way that you are responsible for ensuring everyone is wearing seatbelts

Andy Roadie

No. My insurance would not pay out as I am not negligent.
No. I am not responsible for ensuring everyone is wearing seatbelt. Only passengers under 14 years of age.
Frankly I find the notion that I am responsible for the actions of other Adults laughable.

No. I am not responsible for ensuring everyone is wearing seatbelt. Only passengers under 14 years of age.
Frankly I find the notion that I am responsible for the actions of other Adults laughable.
It's usually the car that's insured, isn't it? You might pay for it, but it insurance against damaged caused by your car while you (or another driver that's acceptable to your insurer) is behind the wheel.

Whether you could be charged with a traffic offence due to the actions of a passenger, I'm not sure.

Your insurance is responsible for claims. Read this.

You don't have to be at fault to be claimed against. If your car drive over a pebble which shoots out and snashes a window your insurance can be claimed against even if you did nothing wrong.

Andy Roadie

No it isn't the car that's insured for liability claims.
The person opening the door could be charged with an offence.
A person can try to claim against me for any reason but again negligence would have to be proved. RE The pebble scenario. I doubt I would be paying.

No it isn't the car that's insured for liability claims.
The person opening the door could be charged with an offence.
A person can try to claim against me for any reason but again negligence would have to be proved. RE The pebble scenario. I doubt I would be paying.
The passenger could be charged with an offence. Your car insurance can be claimed against for either the passenger hurting someone with a door or a stone that causes damage.

U

User33236

A former colleague was hit by a door opened by a passenger a number of years ago resulting in damage to his bike and significant soft tissue damage to his shoulder . He received a payout for damages and injury from the car's insurers.

It can and does happen so choose your passengers carefully :smile:.

Top Bottom