Driver made to think!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speedkingsox

On Saturday, a Club mate and myself where out cycling on quiet country roads around Islandmagee, we were aware that there was a car approaching from behind and we had been riding single-file, the driver drove past us very very close!!! He was driving a modified Polo with lowered suspension with 'R' plates. I bet you all have experienced this on a regular basis?
My Club mate turned off to head home and i continued on towards my home, about 5/6 miles later the same 'driver' passed me again and in the same fashion..... very very close!!! Btw i must add on both occasions, there was no oncoming traffic!! I noted his reg number and later mentioned to my club mate who then reported the incidents to the Police. In light of recent cycling tragedies, here and in England, we both felt 'right!! enough is enough!!' I myself am expecting the birth of my first child whilst my Club mate has 2 very young children.
Today, my Club mate received word from the Police that they had stopped the driver and had a word with him, he only passed his driving test 4 months ago, and was nearly crying by being stopped. I just hope that the driver takes this on-board and thinks a bit better when he is next out driving.

Maybe we should all report dangerous drivers like this..... at least there is one more driver on the road who will be more cautious when approaching Cyclists. Maybe more should be taught to learner drivers about the consequences of not giving Cyclists room.

SOX
Team Madigan

buggi

Bird Saviour
i agree, i think the whole problem with driver's attitudes starts and end with learner drivers (take into the account the time i had an argument with a BSM instructor because he told his pupil to undertake me dangerously). I think if everyone was taught from the beginning and there was an actual dedicated section in the driving test on how to behave around cyclists the roads would be a much safer place. in a lot of bad driving cases it's just ignorance.

Are 'P' plates compulsory yet? Heading up a long steep hill very slowly; a car came up behind me but did not pass until it was ultimately safe. I kept on hoping he would pass but he didn't and there was nowhere for me to pull over. When he did eventually pass I noted he had 'P' plates, so there is some hope for new drivers.

yenrod

Exactly - start as you mean to go on.

Yet, what bit of when you are driving does hitting someone seem to be 'not a problem' with these drivers.

How can it be ok ?

Whats the diff. in hitting a walking person compared to a cyclist ?

If anything Peds. are more likely to be hit as they are the most crazy.

Yet cardrivers have the harder time with 'us' as we are in there way, slowing them up,....

The whole road 'make-up' needs re-designing !

snorri

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
Certainly the women of Amsterdam! In fact, they can be sent here to Oslo! :blush:

My only near death experience on the summer tour this year was whilst on a collision course with a rather attractive lady cyclist in central Amsterdam. I braked hard, she stopped and smiled and everything was fine.:blush::smile::biggrin::smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
How many times must I post this on here for the message to get through?

Most Police forces are already operating a reporting system. Members of the public may call the non-emergency number and ask to report an incident of speeding or bad driving. The details are logged against the vehicle on the PNC. When the vehicle is seen by a car equipped with ANPR the driver gets stopped for a chat and probably given a "producer". If a vehicle gets more than three logs the Police will go and visit the driver for a chat. This is how technology is being used now, it costs nothing and it works. We have had some success with a couple of habitual speeders in our street.

In Lancashire the number is 0845 1 25 35 45.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rigid Raider said:
How many times must I post this on here for the message to get through?

Most Police forces are already operating a reporting system. Members of the public may call the non-emergency number and ask to report an incident of speeding or bad driving. The details are logged against the vehicle on the PNC. When the vehicle is seen by a car equipped with ANPR the driver gets stopped for a chat and probably given a "producer". If a vehicle gets more than three logs the Police will go and visit the driver for a chat. This is how technology is being used now, it costs nothing and it works. We have had some success with a couple of habitual speeders in our street.

In Lancashire the number is 0845 1 25 35 45.

So, how do we find out if 'our' forces are doing the same? I've had a quick look on the North Yorks police website and the nearest I can find is an FAQ on when to call 999 which says you should call the non-emergency number if a crime has been carried out with no offender present. I guess that covers an incidence of dangerous driving or whatever, but it's not very specific.

Sure I can look up my local non-emergency number, but how do I know if they actually log or follow up the complaint like you say?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try that non-emergency number and ask to speak with somebody about it.

Here in Lancs it doesn't work so well outside office hours because sometimes your call gets routed through to another division who think you're off your rocker and can't understand what you are trying to tell them!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I guess the thing is, we're so used to the idea that the police won't (or can't, due to resources) follow up small crime, that we start to think it ain't worth the hassle - even though it's true that having a car's ID makes follow up relatively easy with modern technology. And that supposes you're able to get a full reg number. I imagine if you only have a partial number, and no idea of the make etc, you're on a hiding to nothing?

As you've said, you're not even certain of getting a good responce from your local system out of hours....

Blue

Legendary Member
speedkingsox said:
Maybe we should all report dangerous drivers like this..... at least there is one more driver on the road who will be more cautious when approaching Cyclists. Maybe more should be taught to learner drivers about the consequences of not giving Cyclists room.

SOX
Team Madigan

Result mate.

I'll try the same next time. My problem has always been getting the full reg, but I'll give it a go.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Arch said:
So, how do we find out if 'our' forces are doing the same? I've had a quick look on the North Yorks police website and the nearest I can find is an FAQ on when to call 999 which says you should call the non-emergency number if a crime has been carried out with no offender present. I guess that covers an incidence of dangerous driving or whatever, but it's not very specific.

Sure I can look up my local non-emergency number, but how do I know if they actually log or follow up the complaint like you say?

Arch, 0845 60 60 247 for North Yorks. Ring up, report the incident, note the time/date of the call, ask to be updated re your complaint, and ask for the operators collar number as a single point of contact should you not hear anything back. If you still don't get a reply, complain and use the details of time date of call etc to help them find out who HASN'T helped you. For a minor incident, don't expect the offending driver to have their hands chopped off, but a minimum would be for the driver to be spoken to about their actions.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers - yeah that's the standard number I recognise it, I just wouldn't have known whether they'd follow anything up..

Although I'm not much good at remembering registrations, so I dunno if I'd ever have enough info for them.

Out of interest, what's the 'smallest' offence of this sort anyone would report? A colleague of mine once rang up to report a car which turned right across her path causing her to swerve wildly and nearly come off, and I think she had the reg, but go the impression the police were barely interested. SO, does a driver have to be too close, and if so, how close? Left hooks? Pulling out in front of us from side roads?

Geez, you start to think you could spend your whole life on the phone....:rofl:

Top Bottom