Driver takes short cut over pedestrian & cyclist bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ironically on my way home tonight after starting this thread, I encountered some numpties with a scooter on the Railway Path. I heard a some years ago on the Bristol Cycling Campaign website that some guy up near the Bristol MOD claimed some legal access to his property via the (then) new cyclepath and that he could drive his car on the path. Don't know what the outcome was, I think he was being challenged to produce property deeds to support his claim or something (maybe someone here knows what happened). Anyway, this translated into cyclists darting for cover when this bloke went for a drive.
I think he's the one I met once beyond the farm gate bit hence why I assumed it was connected to the farm.

As it is those accessing to farm see to drive up the road section reasonably fast given the number of cyclists, working on the principle if the keep going the cyclists will dodge out of the way.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes!

A 10-30%, narrow, cobbled path, marked as a footpath/cyclepath/Unsuitable for motors/No Through Road - No Problem!

buttress.jpg

cycleway-no-through-road.jpg

down_the_buttress.jpg

driving-up-the-buttress.jpg

:wacko::thumbsdown::stop:
The houses halfway up that hill have right of access. As daft as that may seem.

J1888

Über Member
Southwark bridge lights going straight to the city has a cycle path which crosses the pavement - saw a delivery scooter whizz past me up it, which was surprising.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Just curious, so please don't yell at me, but is "Unsuitable for Motors" an advisory or does it actually mean "Go away, you can't use this road, numpty". There isn't a sign saying 'No motor vehicles' as we see along the Marriotts Way.
I have no idea if it's true, but I was always told the 'Unsuitable for Motors' sign was basically a council get out clause so that they didn't need to maintain the road and would refuse any damage liabilities for vehicles damaged trying to use it. My wife grew up down a lane that had an 'Unsuitable for Motors' sign at one end despite the road being tarmacked and having a number of houses down it with a need for vehicle access.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just curious, so please don't yell at me, but is "Unsuitable for Motors" an advisory or does it actually mean "Go away, you can't use this road, numpty". There isn't a sign saying 'No motor vehicles' as we see along the Marriotts Way.

It means my truck will get through just fine.

Top Bottom