Drowning doesn't look like drowning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I nearly drowned, aged about 7 or 8, in the shallow "baby" pool at the local baths. My little brother had hit upon the comic wheeze of wearing his armbands round his ankles and I copied him, but I lost balance and went upside down in the water. As in the article, I was using my arms to push down in the water in an attempt to get my head above the surface, so I couldn't wave or yell for help. I tried grabbing onto my sister who was nearby but she thought I was larking about and shoved me away.

Luckily, a lifeguard must have noticed something was up because the next thing I knew, I was being yanked unceremoniously out of the pool by my arms. Another 30 seconds and it might have been too late.

I was a strong swimmer and the water was no more than chest deep if I was standing up, but it just goes to show how careful you need to be round water. And don't do stupid things like attaching flotation devices round your ankles.

d.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's one thing we did when both kids were young - got them swimming. Both are now very strong swimmers, and tend to spend more time 'under water' than on top of it.

Whilst we were in the States, there were a number of articles about black americans and the number who could not swim (linked to drownings) and the schemes that there were to help them. Must say, in the two Disney Water Parks recently, there were many 'non swimmers' - i.e. older kids wearing full flotation vests (supplied free by Disney).

Being able to swim is very important. Kids also miss out on alot of fun if they aren't good swimmers.

Contact your local pools and enrole on the swimming lessons. They can also join the local club to improve their technique. Both my kids did this until they were about 7 or 8, where they were strong swimmers and found the lessons boring.

RaRa

Whilst we were in the States, there were a number of articles about black americans and the number who could not swim (linked to drownings) and the schemes that there were to help them. .

I was just about the mention exactly this. I was quite shocked from my time living there when I found so many of the people I worked with couldn't swim, every summer you'd see tragic cases on the news of siblings and whole familes who couldnt swim but drowned trying to save each other. I know every child here is supposed to get swimming lessons at school but I dont believe that happens for everyone. It's how I learnt so it's a real shame so many aren't given the same opportunities I had.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I was very small my elder sister nearly drowned me in the canal at Bletchley. It must be my earliest memory; I remember kneeling on a concrete platform at water level, leaning over to see what was in the water. My next memory is of the water closing over my face and bubbles rising away from me, and rays of sunshine coming through the greeny water. Gordon's Gin used to run a cinema ad in which you saw ice and lemon being added to a G&T against a green background and that always brought back the memory. Next memory is of standing on the grass surrounded by people making a fuss and rubbing me down with a towel, then thinking "Hmmm.. perhaps I'd better make a fuss" and having a token cry.

Apparently my sister just couldn't resist the temptation. My Dad, who was a good swimmer, heard the splash and a scream and jumped in fully clothed to save me.

For the record the same elder sister once gashed my leg with a razor blade trying to shave off the fluff; I still have the scar.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
When I was very small my elder sister nearly drowned me in the canal at Bletchley. It must be my earliest memory; I remember kneeling on a concrete platform at water level, leaning over to see what was in the water. My next memory is of the water closing over my face and bubbles rising away from me, and rays of sunshine coming through the greeny water. Gordon's Gin used to run a cinema ad in which you saw ice and lemon being added to a G&T against a green background and that always brought back the memory. Next memory is of standing on the grass surrounded by people making a fuss and rubbing me down with a towel, then thinking "Hmmm.. perhaps I'd better make a fuss" and having a token cry.

Apparently my sister just couldn't resist the temptation. My Dad, who was a good swimmer, heard the splash and a scream and jumped in fully clothed to save me.

For the record the same elder sister once gashed my leg with a razor blade trying to shave off the fluff; I still have the scar.

You can pick your nose; you can't pick your family.

Gromit

Über Member
I nearly drowned, I was 11 years old doing my life saving badge with school. We had to swim in pajamas, I wasn't a strong enough swimmer to cope with the sheer weight of them. I can remember going down, then bobbing to the surface and then back down. A fellow pupil noticed something was wrong, grabbed me, pulling me to the side. Swimming teachers didn't even notice.

Shaun

Founder
I nearly drowned, I was 11 years old doing my life saving badge with school. We had to swim in pajamas, I wasn't a strong enough swimmer to cope with the sheer weight of them. I can remember going down, then bobbing to the surface and then back down. A fellow pupil noticed something was wrong, grabbed me, pulling me to the side. Swimming teachers didn't even notice.

I hope they got an EXTRA LARGE badge. ^_^

Arch

Married to Night Train
I hope they got an EXTRA LARGE badge. ^_^

Yeah, then they wore it to go swimming and drowned...

Swimming certainly ought to be taught throughout school. I suspect a problem is that kids all take different lengths of time to master it, like riding a bike. We had lessons for at least a year at my primary school, but I was hopeless. No confidence, so I just clung to the side - I remember the teacher saying 'go!' and when I didn't moving on to the next kid. Floats let me move about a bit, but there came a point when it was all or nothing, and for me it was nothing,

When I was 10, we moved to England, and somehow, I learned to swim - I don't remember the moment, I just did. Ended up doing swimming as my sport option through O level years, and getting my Bronze Medallion for lifesaving. So some kids can be taught to be competent, if not strong, within a few weeks, some may take months, or years of encouragement.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That's a very good article. Thank you.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I remember nearly drowning in my local pool when I must have been about 6. I had one of those inflatable dolphins and had used it to go further out way past my depth. Something happened, I can't remember what now and I let go of it.

I remember the sudden panic when I realised I couldn't touch the bottom with my feet and then the sound of me bobbing up and down, I.e. there was sound from above the water, other kids playing etc, and then it would be subdued under the water, and then more sound, and then more subdument at a rate of about every second, rapidly getting shorter. I remember swallowing a lot of water and I couldn't get it out of my mouth fast enough and remember trying to cough, which probably made things worse. I was scared, I just wanted my Dolphin back!.... And then, a complete stranger who was standing just a few feet away reached out and pulled me to the edge. Such a simple act, but the frightening thing was that the pool was packed, and seemingly only this one guy noticed me! I have no idea how much sound I made if any, but obviously it all must have happened very quickly.

I wish I knew who it was so I could say thank you now, but I think at the time I just coughed a thank you at him whilst my Dad appeared and took me and the Dolphin to the shallow end :laugh:

Now when I see in the pool where it happened, I realise just how small I must have been at the time!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What I realise now is that if I hadn't panicked, then I might have been able to swim for long enough under water, but, alas, at the same time, I didn't have any breath, so I'd have had to do it rather quickly!

gbb

Legendary Member
The article reflects exactly what i witnessed once...(i may have told it before)
Ferry meadows country park, quite a cold day, i was on one end of a T shaped pontoon with one of my chillblains....a guy was 10 ft away on the other end with his (maybe) 6 year old daughter, we were all feeding the ducks.
I became aware of a 'gloop' sound...nothing too loud, no fuss. Turned round and the girl had gone, dad at that stage seemed unaware she wasnt there.
My minds thinking...eh ?.....i started to make my way over as he's begun to realise she's not there...he peered over the edge, i'm half way towards him, he leant over into the water and hauled his daughter up by the hood of her jacket and plonked her on the pontoon.
She was totally submerged, she wasnt thrashing, i'd imagine she was frozen with fear while under the water. Its a horrible thought, her under the water, scared, unable to even move.
Wierdly, when he got her out, she didnt cry, didnt say anything...just stood there shellshocked.

We spoke a few words and he put her in the bike seat and cycled off, telling her....'we wont tell mum about this, will we ?'
Fat chance i thought :whistle:
Ironically, he rode off with her still wearing soaking wet clothing on a very cold day. Barsteward i thought ...i'd have cycled home bear topped to make sure she had something dry or warm on her

Another perspective, i used to work with a senior St Johns ambulance guy, he said people who drown dont have loads of water in their lungs...usually just a bit. Apparently water hits the larynx (i think) and it snaps shut, so you pass out very very quickly.

Phhh :whistle: ...what a thought.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Must say, AGAIN. this is a very important skill for kids.

OK we've just had a very good holiday in Disney (life savings) but the water parks need really strong swimmers. My son of 11 was OK, but my daughter of 8, nearly 9, knew she was out of her strength to even tackle the Typhoon wave... that's the advantage of having good swimming kids. TBH - it was about my limit to face a wave and hold onto my daughter - the force was massive. None swimmers are buggered.

VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE YOUR KIDS CAM SWIM VERY WELL.

My two kids try and drown me..jump on me and see if they can sink me. My new sighted swim goggles (for not much money - less than £30 for sighted Speedos) have made a huge difference to me and my family.

Top Bottom