Drugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just started watching a programme I recorded about 'The doctor who gave up drugs'. This from the intro...

"Every year doctors hand out over a billion prescriptions. That's over 15 courses of medicine for every man, woman and child in Britain."

:hyper:

classic33

Leg End Member
Some of which would have been cheaper buy over the counter, or have been given on free prescriptions.

I get two, sometimes three a month, depending on how close the 28 days match. All for anti epileptic medication.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's over a billion prescriptions* in England alone.

In Wales and Scotland the rates of prescribing are even higher (one of the reasons that the NHS is Wales is basically bankrupt).

*(1.03 billion in 2013)
And what the programme went on to show was that a vast proportion of these prescriptions are for things that could be far better addressed through things like half an hour's walking a day. Literally. Millions upon millions of people are on basically incessant prescriptions to codeine and even stronger opioids, regardless of the fact that as an academic expert clearly stated, such drugs work initially but after four to six weeks lose their effectiveness entirely, and can actually end up doing more to exacerbate pain than to relieve it. The system is screwed. Seriously. It's costing a fortune and it's doing no-one any good. Something has to change.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I thought he was quite brave in highlighting the persuasive nature of drugs companies. Was astounded at the one day in the chair of the GP how many prescriptions for Antibiotics were dished out even though he intended to resist

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Both parts are excellent programmes. Just a shame they ran out of time - a lot of other drug topics that he didn't even have time to cover.

Codeine addition is even worse than made out in the programme, the amount of (lower doses) some pharmacies sell is unbelievable.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
and I don't just mean the drug companies
Indeed. One of the most thought-provoking aspects was the extent of collusion between drug companies (boo!), the medical profession (hmmm) and - crucially - the patient (oh!) who as often as not insists on having some kind of pills, as evidence that they've 'had treatment', and who would very often take great umbrage at being informed, however helpfully and genuinely, that actually they don't need drugs, just a bit of exercise and maybe an apple or two.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Not all patients insist on drugs. A relative had to go to hospital recently as she was very ill. Mainly because she had been arbitrarily been given drugs by her Dr. She was taking a lot of drugs each day. The hospital stopped all but 4. Her Dr is still prescribing all of the previous drugs and the chemist keep phoning wondering why she hasn't been in for the drugs, even though they have been told she no longer needs them.

It seems impossible for the various medical disciplines to talk to each other, let alone talk to the patients themselves. It's about time drugs and medications that can be bought over the counter were not prescribed by drs

sarahale

Über Member
I was prescribed antibiotics 8 times in 6 months for tonsillitis. I refused to take anymore after that and paid privately to have them removed.

marinyork

Indeed. One of the most thought-provoking aspects was the extent of collusion between drug companies (boo!), the medical profession (hmmm) and - crucially - the patient (oh!) who as often as not insists on having some kind of pills, as evidence that they've 'had treatment', and who would very often take great umbrage at being informed, however helpfully and genuinely, that actually they don't need drugs, just a bit of exercise and maybe an apple or two.

You ain't heard nothing. Pharmacists are it is said a bit like economists but there's widespread view that society is very overmedicated. It's just those opinions don't leave the dispensary walls.

It's much the same in community pharmacy in terms of wanting something for a visit. It's always difficult to gauge why people come to visit us, patients perceive GP surgery hours as incredibly frustrating and inconvenient to their lives and pharmacies are generally open after they close - sometimes substantially so. Sometimes patients come and visit us because they think well it isn't serious enough to go and see a GP but a lot of the time it may be I want something whether that be advice or medicine immediately. If we can't give people what they think they want and they have come to visit with a particular product they want I often get told 'you aren't a proper farking pharmacy'. Often if someone comes without a preconceived idea of what they want it's the most rewarding conversations. In pharmacy we hear the harsh brunt of what patients think is wrong with the repeats system and other aspects of the NHS.

Similarly when minor ailments are done you get comments like 'it wasn't like this with the other guy' or 'my other pharmacy just picks it off the shelf and hands it to me', 'thanks very much mate but I just came for the medicine not the advice' or quite a few colourful ones to put it mildly.

marinyork

Unfortunately, pharmacists are often a significant part of the problem - the situation in Wales being a prime example.

Which bit are you unhappy with, independent prescribing, oversale of OTC painkillers/sleeping tablets/various other things, overordering of medicines by pharmacies, incorrect referrals, MURs not done properly, NMS not done properly. minor ailments not done properly or dodgy emergency supplies?

Top Bottom