Drying Clothes advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
I personally wouldnt be hanging wet clothes up in an open office if they smell. People will complain and its not fair having to smell that all day.
I'd be asking for a cloakroom, drying area with a radiator etc or a dehumidifier etc.
I'd ask the boss in supervision.

Agreed, fortunately not many people in my office use the showers so I hang as much there as I can. But I've asked our facilities team if there's something they can help with.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Agreed, fortunately not many people in my office use the showers so I hang as much there as I can. But I've asked our facilities team if there's something they can help with.

that's going to be pretty humid area though isnt it, unless you can get a dehumidifier plugged in in there

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I personally wouldnt be hanging wet clothes up in an open office if they smell. People will complain and its not fair having to smell that all day.
I'd be asking for a cloakroom, drying area with a radiator etc or a dehumidifier etc.
I'd ask the boss in supervision.

Kit shouldn't smell. My commute gear is washed everyday, dried on an airer (with dehumidifier) at home. Getting stuff dry at the office is more of a challenge usually. We're all open plan, shared spaces, so the only thing I had was a radiator. We've got a drying cabinet, but the issue is other people. You share the cabinet, so if someone has particularly grubby kit, or is a heavy smoker, it's a bit grim. There is possibly three of us that use the facilities, and one has filthy kit.

Touchwood the soaking wet/ flooded commutes are over for a good while but I was resorting to the hair dryer in the shower room at work to dry the shoes and socks. Everything else usually dries up in the course of the day when its hanged up. At home its overnight with the clothes rack in front of the radiator and dehumidifier.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cotton retains 3 times the amount of moisture compared to polyester so will take longer to dry pro-rata. What are the fabrics in use now?
Quick dry cotton weaves are available, but still best to don waterproofs before you get wet.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
That was certainly the case in my first office, I think I would have smelled fresher after 100miles 🤑

We once had a boss who smelled of a combination of BO and cigarette smoke. He was a contractor and working away from home. He wore the same suit for the entire week.

Complaints to HR made no difference and nor did one of the team gifting him a can of deodorant. We were rather pleased when his contract wasn't renewed.

We once had a boss who smelled of a combination of BO and cigarette smoke. He was a contractor and working away from home. He wore the same suit for the entire week.

Complaints to HR made no difference and nor did one of the team gifting him a can of deodorant. We were rather pleased when his contract wasn't renewed.
Should spray people like that with old spice to make the point 🤺😁

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Wet shoes dry very quickly if ridden in the dry. You’ll just have to put up with damp socks for about 10 mins of your homeward commute.

Newspaper in the shoes , surprisingly affective

I used this trick on day two of L2P when it was torrential rain all day and I ended up with a nice Belgian tan. Surprisingly effective.

IMG_0298.jpeg

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've far from mastered this, but a few thoughts..

Obviously good waterproofs will keep out the bulk of the water, but arriving bone dry after enduring a prolonged downpour is unrealistic.

Goretex shoes are great; on the one occasion my waterproof trousers channeled water directly into them and soaked my socks / the inside of the shoes, I swapped to a spare pair of socks while the other dried, swapped again and so-on until the shoes and socks were dry.

Light synthetic fabrics dry quickly, Merino remains warm while wet and takes a long time time to become aromatic. My new base layer has done maybe 120 miles of commuting without a wash, and only now vaguely smells like it needs one.

On account of the above you don't want to be wearing anything cotton.. I usually wear my riding gear all day but do carry a complete spare change of clothes incase I sh*t myself or have to impress a girl with my taste in polonecks..

Top Bottom